• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

fluffy baby bunny with sticky bum

BunnyBekkie

Warren Veteran
Minnie is 7 and a half weeks old. She's a realy fluff monster. She's developed a sticky bum today though, and it's hard to clean with her being so fluffy.
Anyone know what would've caused this??
They've been eating excel pellets at the rescue and have been fine. I'm still giving them excel, but I've started to put a bit of junior & dwarf in, as I want to change them to that. I gave them a tiny bit of spring green yesterday morning.

Hiya, my Kiki is also a young fluff bun and she's had dry poo's on her bum (and in hard to reach areas) I have been careful to switch her old food mix to another brand but I still think it's the change in food and perhaps they are getting too much mix food so they don't each as much hay?

I found the best techique was to feed her her fave food (wheaty flakes) and my bf snipped off the dry bits.. :D

Dwarf and Junior often seem to cause upsets as they must be richer than the normal excell - therefore the rabbit feels less inclined to eat its ceacal pellets (the ones they should eat again straight from their anus to get more goodness from them).

Almost always sticky (as opposed to runny) bun is caused by not eating these.

Try going back to normal excell - and MORE GOOD QUALITY HAY!! (hay hay hay hay, hay hay hay hay, hay . . . wonderful hay!!)

Dwarf and Junior often seem to cause upsets as they must be richer than the normal excell - therefore the rabbit feels less inclined to eat its ceacal pellets (the ones they should eat again straight from their anus to get more goodness from them).

Almost always sticky (as opposed to runny) bun is caused by not eating these.

Try going back to normal excell - and MORE GOOD QUALITY HAY!! (hay hay hay hay, hay hay hay hay, hay . . . wonderful hay!!)

Hiya .. actually I've been buying hay from PAH recently and I think it's pants! I've never sneezed so much - it says dust extracted, but, I'm not so sure :roll: think I'll go back to my old pet shop

Her & Dylan have plenty of hay, and plenty of redi grass.
I'll take the j&d out and just giver her normal excel. I'm not too keen on normal excel at the min though. Biscuit gets a sticky bum from it, so I'm switching her back to lite. Nibbles & Bobby are on j&d and are fine. Nibbles used to suffer with a sticky bum, but j&d sorted that out.

I haven't read the above advice but i'd suggest introducing good quality hay into their diet and also getting a 'trouser clip' done at the vets at your next jab or do it yourself. Makes it easier for them to clean themselves.

Bekkie it could be the readigrass, its too rich for some bunnies, I imagine it'd be even more so for babies X

You've only had them since Monday havn't you? At 7 weeks old they are too young to be going through a major environmental change and then a diet alteration at the same time.

Give them a chance to settle and relax.

ETA-Dried Grass isn't a food that should be available in a large quantity, like Junior pellets it's high in protein.

Hiya :wave:

Change her food back 2 what is was before and start cleaning her bum in early summer.

Just use a wet flannel and rub her bum over. It will only take a few mins. And also clean the poo side of her hutch out every day as this can help to keep flies away causing fly strike and bunnies can die from this.:cry:

TRY TO KEEP YOUR BUNNI CLEAN :D

Thanks guys :)

Mandy gave me the readigrass as they've been eating that since they could eat really. Dylan is fine, he's not had any trouble. Nice golden baby poos from him.
I'll stop the food switch for now, wait a few weeks and see how she reacts then.

Minnie was the runt of the litter and with the situation we had with these mums & babies, we think Minnie didn't get the attention she needed from Mum. She doesn't seem to know how to clean herself properly, and she runs sideways a lot of the time. It's almost as if she's still learning to hop. Maybe she's still got a little bit of catching up to do.
For those who don't know the situation we had at the rescue, we had 2 does handed in together. Mother & Daughter (Missy & Itsy) Itsy had a litter about a week after coming into the rescue, then Missy had one 3 weeks later. Both Mums were being Mum to each others babies. We had 2 mums and 13 babies all together!

I've not had a baby bunny for 2 years, I'm a bit rusty :oops:
Thanks for not making me feel stupid!

Bekkie your far from stupid.

i agree with the change, its too much for a little belly to go through...

wait afew weeks and then try the food first. then wait afew more before trying the veggies.

x

Back