• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New rabbit was already pregnant!

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi we bought a new rabbit for my brother as his one died last month. We knew not to rush and had found a phone number for a proper breeder. However we went to our local pets at home and he found a rabbit he liked. We were told that she was a netherland dwarf cross but they didn't know what with and that she'd been taken back the day before as apparently she didn't get on with the previous owners rabbit. We didn't think anything bad had happened and i know they have a quarantine area out the back but as she was in the shop front we thought everything was fine.

We bring her home and it took her a little while to settle in (so we thought at the time). She gave birth on fathers day 31 days after we had her. Unfortunately the only baby was dead and now she is grieving. When i was told of this i was angry with pets at home for selling a pregnant rabbit.

The vets didn't find anything when she was checked and had her myxi jab about half way through pregnancy either. We thought as she was meant to have been 8 - 12 weeks when we got her that she'd have not been able to have babies anyway and when she started what we thought was a phantom pregnancy we just let her get on with it.

I'd just like to know if that myxi jab was the cause of the babies death? and i am thinking about making a complaint to pets at home for selling her to us as now we have had to go through all this and so has she when it was someone elses fault. We could have lost her too as she is too young to be having babies. Does anyone think we would be right to complain to pets at home?

Yes I think so, although I'm not sure what they would do. I've heard of them paying the costs for babies before but that's not the case here. Sorry to hear about the little baby :(

Yes. You are right. In the time she had been away she could have been exposed to anything and should have been re-quarantined.
THey were irresponsible to sell her to you without knowing (or checking) what had happened before.

You should go and talk to the manager and be very very stern with him. And write to Head Office if you don't get a satisfactory answer. It could be that she got pregnant whilst in the shop because they put mis-sexed buns together too. :roll:

As for the myxi, I'm sorry but I don't know :(

GO FOR IT!!!!
I bought 2 female guinea pigs from pets at home eastbourne 4 years ago, and within a month 1 of them had given birth to 2 babies ( 1 dead and 1 alive).
I went up there and kicked off big time!!!! I took the second guinea pig with me to check the sex and she was definately female, so the mother pig must have been impregnated by one of her litter!!!
I was totally disgusted as she was only young too.
As the original ones kept fighting over the baby we had to seperate the second 1, so they gave me a hutch and all i needed to house her for nothing, BIG DEAL!!!.
Sadly the mum pig suzie died 7 weeks ago, but her daughter edie is 4 years old, and very healthy, and has just been bonded with the other pig penny, and they are getting along great, so it was a happy ending after all!!!:)

Hi we went to pets at home today and told them what happened. They were very kind about it all and told us that when we get her spayed, to take the receipt to them and they'll pay for it.

They believe that it must have been the people who took her first who got her pregnant and (like i thought when we first got her for some strange reason) obviously they realised and couldn't be responsible enough to tell pets at home staff when they returned her. Otherwise had they known she'd have been out in the quarantine area for 40 days so she'd have given birth there etc.

I just wish those cruel people had listened about neutering before putting males and females together. Or at least keep them in seperate hutches. We would not have had to bury a still born rabbit if it weren't for them.

Back