• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Colic

emmarees

Young Bun
Hi, we had Alfie in to the vets for a check up Wednesday as we are going away next month, the vet checked her over but we mentioned she had not eaten much of her science select overnight Tuesday. She did not eat much again last night. She has eaten her carrot this morning and yesterday and had her daily treats. We were back down there this evening because I was not happy that she was not eating her dinner. The Vet looked at her notes and believes she has bunny colic, (She had this back in November.) He gave her an anti-inflammatory injection advised us to monitor her overnight and the he will give her some syringe food to help her. Has anyone else had this problem????????? :wave:

I believe what your vet was actually refering to is bloat which is sadly not uncommon in rabbits. It's usually caused by another underlying problem so it's imperitive that vets try to identify this to prevent it happening again.

Hi :wave:

If your bunny keeps having problems it may be best to find a vet that knows more about rabbits specifically. It might be that one vet in your practice knows more about them than the others - but you'll have to ask to see them, you won't see them automatically.

One of my bunnies has bloat and stasis problems because he has a condition called megacolon which he inherited, but it can be controlled with a proper diet. Maybe your bun has something like this or just needs more hay or a different pellet food to sort her out. :)

:wave:Thanks for the replies, I thought it was bloat too. She is eating her carrots no problems just her science select she doesnt want to know at the moment. :wave:

If no improvement by tomorrow, I will go down again and ask for more treatment.

Just been back down the vets - he has given her metacarm, relieve solution and another solution whose name escapes me. If no change by monday bring her down again. :wave: Alfie is not my friend at the moment. :cry:

Has he had any metaclopromide or maxolon to stimulate his gut (assuming there is no blockage)?

If he has gas you could try administering 1ml of Infacol with 10mls of warm water every hour to try and breakdown the gas and lubricate the gut ingesta, thus making it easier to move.

Thanks Sooz, Vet gave her an anti inflammatory injection last night, given her more stuff today, she is moving about freely at present, we are trying her on the stuff the vet gave her today, if no joy i will get infacol. Very cross and sulking with me at present. :cry:

Alfie ate a little bit of her science select overnight a lot of grass and a carrot top. All of her carrot this morning and some grass. :wave:

Back