• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

newbie with a question!

harpo

Warren Scout
I have an eight month old rescue rabbit who has been recently neutered, we have now got ourselves a beautiful neutered male bunny who we hope will be a companion for her, they are currently living in seperate hutches but when we tried them out together in the garden they started to fight and had to be seperated, does this mean they are never likely to get on? any tips greatly appreciated. I also had a bonded pair of dwarf elderly rabbits, one recently died and i would like to know if existing old bunny would take to a new companion - he seems very sad at the moment!!!:bunny:

Well you can't exactly put them in together straight away. You have to take it by steps first keep them both in a cage right beside eatchother but split it apart then when they seem comfrtrable try holding one and have someone else hold the other right next to each other and if they look fine then you can try it but if they 'fight' you won't beable to but if they just chase this is ok as they need to establish a pecking order

Hello, welcome to RU :wave:

Bonding can be quite tricky, I suggest you put this in the care section where many experienced member will be more likely to see it :)

In the meantime, chasing, nipping and humping are normal bonding behaviors and it is necessary to establish a hierarchy. Separation should occur if they latch on to one another or if they chase for so long that you think this might happen very soon. Bonding should be done in a small area in neutral territory. Small so that they cannot avoid each other completely ;) A play pen or run is a good size :) Failing that if its not neutral an en suite or regular bathroom works too!

Have you thought of taking them to a rescue to do the bond?

I don't see why your older bun would not take to another female :) If he seems lonely it might be worth a try :) A rescue could try him with several different ladies, like speed dating! :D

thanks for the advice about the care section - will put message their instead, i may look further afield for a companion for my old bunny - my local rabbit rescue doesn't do mutual meetings for rabbits unfortunately.

Back