• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stopping panacur - head tilt - advice please.

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
Hi all.
Firstly i need to thank everyone on here for their great advice with my wee bunny Kermit, he got head tilt 5 weeks ago now and the vet suggested him getting pts.
So i got another vet who has been treating him with Panacur & Baytril.
We are now thinking it might actually have been an ear infection, but cant be sure.....i have been cleaning his ears out and putting drops in, his down ear is very waxy at times!

The good news is that he is now back on his feet and able to bunny hop (albeit slow and sometimes in a circle) round the living room. He has now got his full size cage back. He still has a head tilt, and im not sure that he can see right out his down eye, but he seems to be loving life.

The vet has really been taking my lead on things after me getting advice from here, so im going to be a pest again and ask when you think i should stop the panacur.....i have enough left to do him until the end of next week, so was thinking that i would use that up then stop, but continue with the baytril & ear drops.

He has been on panacur for just under 5 weeks now, and im sure i read before that 6 weeks is about right......then ill treat him with it every 6 months for 9 days, just to be sure.....is that right?

Also, on another note, i was wondering if any of the people that helped me out actually ran rabbit rescue centres, cos i would like to give something back and maybe sponsor a wee bunny there or something like that.....Let me know if thats do-able!

Thanks again guys, we really appreciate it

Hi all.
Firstly i need to thank everyone on here for their great advice with my wee bunny Kermit, he got head tilt 5 weeks ago now and the vet suggested him getting pts.
So i got another vet who has been treating him with Panacur & Baytril.
We are now thinking it might actually have been an ear infection, but cant be sure.....i have been cleaning his ears out and putting drops in, his down ear is very waxy at times!

The good news is that he is now back on his feet and able to bunny hop (albeit slow and sometimes in a circle) round the living room. He has now got his full size cage back. He still has a head tilt, and im not sure that he can see right out his down eye, but he seems to be loving life.

The vet has really been taking my lead on things after me getting advice from here, so im going to be a pest again and ask when you think i should stop the panacur.....i have enough left to do him until the end of next week, so was thinking that i would use that up then stop, but continue with the baytril & ear drops.

He has been on panacur for just under 5 weeks now, and im sure i read before that 6 weeks is about right......then ill treat him with it every 6 months for 9 days, just to be sure.....is that right?

Also, on another note, i was wondering if any of the people that helped me out actually ran rabbit rescue centres, cos i would like to give something back and maybe sponsor a wee bunny there or something like that.....Let me know if thats do-able!

Thanks again guys, we really appreciate it

That is what I would suggest doing and is what I do with my own EC suspect rabbits and their partners.

I used to run a rescue but can no longer do so, so instead I help out BARC (bunnymadhouse on here) by fostering, bonding and fundraising. I have a fundraiser running at the moment, see my signature, so if you wanted to help out with that it would be most welcomed. BARC do also have bunnies for sponsor if you would prefer.

Finally, I am so, so pleased Kermit is enjoying life again and that your perseverance has paid off for you all. :D

Hi all.

That'll be fine, that's what I'd do :thumb: So glad he's on the mend, have you got a picture of him we can see? I like pictures :oops: :roll: :lol:

Mmm yes piccies would be great!!

The down side ear probably will have wax anyway because he will find it difficult to balance and clean it (they have to balance on three legs whilst using the other rear leg to get into the ear - tricky enough with lops but extra tricky if you are off-balance anyway!).

If he has been left with any hearing problems he may also simply not realise it has a wax build up and not think to clean it.

With all my head tilts I have found that it gets gradually and gradually better over time - until one day a year or so later you realise that only you can tell they used to have head tilt - but I have been lucky I guess.

Piccies please!!

Oh and another quick one.....how long do you think i should leave him before getting his VHD? He had his first Myxo jag about 4 weeks before he got head tilt.....so he will need VHD soon, but dont want to give him it when he is weak!

I'd be guided by what your vet says, it's usual to wait until a bun is in good health before vaccinating, if he's being kept indoors then you can afford to wait a little longer. We didn't have Lucky vaccinated until we saw him happy within himself and confidently running around in his room.

Was trying to make a donation on your site, cant get it to work....any ideas

:shock: It doesn't?!? *goes to see...*

bunnyhugger - did you get the site sorted for a donation?

sooz - have pmd you again

Thanks guys

it's hard to see he even has a problem from the pictures which is great :)

In the top picture, his head and feet are actually on the ground, as in the whole head is tilted round and leaning on the ground, hard to notice.....thats about a week after it happened

He does manage to get his head round when he is chewing or eating, thats when i snap him for the pics....lol

I'm so pleased!! I followed the original thread - he looks great! :D Glad all your hard work and care paid off!!

Back