• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

NOt a rabbit but what a hay seed can do.....Quite upsetting pics.

Hi,

I thought I'd put a pic of my poorly naked rat boy 'Pinky' on so people can see what a hay seed can do to a little 'not so furry'.
I have only ever used hay once, for the rat, that was the other night and this happened.
He's in a 'hospital' box to keep im quiet. Not that it's working.

First pic. 10am Friday morning.
This looks quite bad as it is infected.
He went to the vet at 6pm.

DSC02943-1.jpg

Saturday...2pm after his eye had 'burst'. I thought he was going to die when it got like this. The vet refused to do surgery until Monday. I decided to keep him at home rather than leave him at the vet hospital.
This pic is after cleaning all the blood away. It was awful.

DSC02978.jpg

One from a few months ago before this happened.

DSC01891.jpg

Pinky is booked in for tomorrow morning for his eye surgically removed. Hopefully it will be nice and tidy by tomorrow afternoon and he will be home.

Flops

God thats awful, poor wee man. I take it the hayseed got stuck in his eye and became a constant irritant?

I had only put the hay in their aviary at 7pm on the Thursday evening.
I checked them at 12.45pm to turn their radio off, light out and their heater on and they were all fine.
When I went in at 10am the next day, they have a rodent shed in the garden as I have a few, his eye was like the first pic.
So really it hadn't had very long to cause the abcess.
When I took him to the vet I thought that one of the other boys had given him a 'clout' as he teases them all the time. I was quite shocked when the vet pulled a hay seed out of his eye.

I'm woried sick now because Flops obviously has loads of hay in her hutch.

I've taken all the hay out of the rats and other rodents but I can't very well take it away from Flops!!!!!!
I've given her a hay rack so it's not all over the hutch though.

thats looks so sore and awful poor mite.We have naked rats and they can be so delicate cant they.

We have 5 nakeds here but Pinky is just so cheeky he torments the life out of the other boys, both furred and naked, I took it for granted that one had gotten sick of him and given him a good hiding.

They do seem to get a load of scratches and little cuts when playing but otherwise my lot have been quite sturdy.

He's not the biggest of rats, he's 10 months old, but he's a fighter after going through this.

His eye looks like a 'wizened' currant in his eye socket today.
I was told that his eye may just shrivel up and die but I'm not sure I want to wait for that to happen.

Flops

oh goodness :shock: your poor little boy. How awful. Sending lots of vibes for him tomorrow. I hope it can be removed simply and there are no complications. Poor wee man x x x

Ouch! Sending loads of vibes. Is Flops your bun? She will be fine with hay :) I would only give hay to animals that eat it and you shouldnt have any problems :) Rats are a lot smaller than buns and if yours are anything like mine they are interested in everything :lol: I use megazorb for my rats and they can dig about in it as much as they like without any sharp bits hurting them x

Hi,

Yes I use megazorb and Aubiose usually. I only used the hay because I'd forgotten to take it to my daughters for Flops and it was a bit chilly so I thought that it would keep them warm instead of using the heater in their rodent shed.
I wish I hadnt' now and I'll never give any of them hay again.

Yes Flops is my giant baby rabbit.

Here's a pic of Pinky's eye a few minutes ago.
It doesn't look quite so bad now. It's not been bleeding since yesterday evening.

DSC02994.jpg

I'm getting a bit more optimistic about him now. I really thought he would die yesterday.
The tub he is on is one of the home made carrying tubs I make to take them to shows etc. I'm keeping him in one to stop him running around too much and banging his eye on things.
He's never been on his own before but it doesn't seem to be bothering him being away from his buddies. He's not just nosy hes a pain in the backside really. Into everything and always running off withsomething he shouldn't have. He wouldn't be Pinky if he didnt' though.

Well he's currently sitting scoffing cooked pasta shells so he obviously doesn't feel too bad at the moment.

Just tomorrow to get over now.
I'm worried sick about the aneasthetic.

Well he's currently sitting scoffing cooked pasta shells so he obviously doesn't feel too bad at the moment.

Just tomorrow to get over now.
I'm worried sick about the aneasthetic.

Oh well at least thats something! :D It does look horrific in picture two but thankfully not as bad in the latest one.

I hope the vet can help him x

Do keep us posted. I will be thinking of you two tomorrow ;)

Back