• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training help!

neilp83

Young Bun
Hi, firstly thanks for your replies in other threads. You have been very helpful.

Litter training problem- I have a 12 week old Mini Lop house rabbit who I'm trying to litter train. He seems to be doing quite well with urinating but poops everywhere.

I currently have him in large run in the living room on an evening and in hutch in the kitchen with a ramp in the day time (when one of us in in). He will have full access to the kitchen once he proves that he isn't going to make a mess every time we go out.

I have been trying to shoo him into one of his many litter trays when he poops on the floor (mostly in the living room!), although this is nearly impossible because I can never see it until its too late.

Tonight he started thumping the floor with his back foot and making a strange noise. I think I have annoyed/scared him by shooing him all of the time.

Don't want him to hate me (or people in general), and he will benefit by having a full house to run around in if he can learn.

Don't know what to do, help!!! Any ideas anyone???

Thanks

If an unneutered baby rabbit is doing all his wees in his tray I think that's pretty fantastic :D The poops are just his way of scent marking his new territory - unless you have other animals he should stop or do less, or do them in one particular spot (easier to pick up) after a while because he'll be used to the place. Rabbit's normal round poos don't smell or squidge and are quite easy to sweep up - if you break one open you'll see it's just chopped hay inside so it's not as bad as a cat pooing everywhere :)

I agree, it's unlikey that you won't find any pellet poops anywhere, just one of those things I'm afraid. If he is weeing in his tray, that's the main thing.

Rabswood

Back