• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving the buns indoors - things to think about.

Sproggie14

Warren Scout
To cut a long story short Shadow has had health issues all of this year, mainly skin problems and weight loss. We bring him in to treat him and then everytime we put them back out again the problem comes back. So we're basically going to move them indoors on at least a semi permanent basis and see how he goes with that.

The trouble is we have 6 dogs at least one of which is not bunny friendly so having them free ranging the house isn't an option. The best we can come up with is to have them in the bathroom. I should clarify that the bathroom is pretty huge (more than 10ft x 10ft). We were thinking of starting them off with an area and hopefully letting them have free run in there in time.

Is there anything we should be thinking about or any advice anyone can offer? The advantage of the bathroom is obviously that there are no wires and with a little work it'll be without any gaps they can squeeze into etc. We're not worried about skirting boards being chewed and that sort of thing as long as they're safe and happy. We'll probably replace the carpet with lino or similar for ease of cleaning.

Anything else we should know?

Obvious stuff really which you have prob already thought of:

Keep the toilet lid down (knowing my lot onw would end up face first in the bowl :shock:)

What about a baby gate or something outside the bathroom door in case a visitor of someone forgets to close the door or something and rabbit eating dog gets in :(

Good luck. The things we do for our buns!

Rabswood

I have just moved Twinkle indoors and its hard to adjust....dont have dogs, but have one cat that sees Twinkle as meals on bunny legs!!!!

I have the dog crate in dining room, but this is a problem as it is the main room to everywhere else, including back garden so she is always getting disturbed and I cant leave her running around whilst the cats around... she can only be out if I am in this room, and then all doors must be shut.

Your bathroom sounds like a good idea. I did think of bathroom for Twinkle but it would offer the space of the crate plus a 2ft x 10ft area to run around in.

At least she would then be out of crate more. But then would be shut away in the bathroom .... its hard to work it out..

Thanks :) Good point about the loo seat! Yes we plan on putting something (we have panels from a puppy play pen) inside the door as a buffer between wabbits and dogs. Although I have a suspicion that the dogs would come off worse against kitkat personally :lol:

Our first snag has been trying to litter train them. I put a litter tray in their cage to start them off but so far kitkat has thrown it around and slept in it but not been to toilet in it :roll: I'm going to have to get one I can fixed to the cage so she can't move it around I think.

The good news is they are clearly a lot happier indoors. Funny creatures!!

Thanks :) Good point about the loo seat! Yes we plan on putting something (we have panels from a puppy play pen) inside the door as a buffer between wabbits and dogs. Although I have a suspicion that the dogs would come off worse against kitkat personally :lol:

Our first snag has been trying to litter train them. I put a litter tray in their cage to start them off but so far kitkat has thrown it around and slept in it but not been to toilet in it :roll: I'm going to have to get one I can fixed to the cage so she can't move it around I think.

The good news is they are clearly a lot happier indoors. Funny creatures!!

Try a big tray.
Lopsy did the same with her litter tray, did everything else with it but poo in it.
So i got a bigger one, which she couldnt lift...and success!!
:D

Back