• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boris has a scab up his nose :( UD with pics

montyflossy

Alpha Buck
Boris my little mini lop has a scab up his nose on the right hand side. My thoughts are Syphillis or possibly nodular myxi? Boris and Lola were vaccinated in Feb.
Anything else it could be? He won't keep still long enough for me to take a pic, its just on the right hand side of the 'V' of his nose a the bottom nearest his mouth.
He is acting normally, eating drinking etc.

the only other thing it could be is that they have some apple twigs and I wonder if he poked himself with that?

Any suggestions welcome :?

Lucy x

Last edited:
Here are some pics of his nose:
At first I thought it was mud but it is definitely scabby.
He is acting normally (hence the bad photos cos he was moving all the time) and eating and drinking normally.
rabbits119.jpg

rabbits122.jpg

rabbits121.jpg

I know in the second 2 you can't really see it but is a scab in the corner of the V of his nose, its kind of crusty but not weeping or pussy.
and one of him and Lola on their patio
rabbits120.jpg

I can ring my vet first thing tomorrow, he is coming to do 12 vaccinations anyway but that is on Wed. Do you think Boris needs to be seen asap?

ps no lumps or bumpsanywhere else that I can feel.

Lucy :cry:

Can't really see from that pic but, when Tinkerbell had Syph, it looked like a long crusty wart.

This is more just a scabby corner. From a distance it really does look like he has mud caked on his nose. The scab goes round the corner of the top of the v of his nose (if that makes sense :oops:)

I can't check :cry: To check his bum every day I have to bribe him with some food and peer under there and feel with my hand. :oops:
Even my vet can't restrain him and said its best not to try in case we break his back.
When Grant gets home I will try to look. From what I can see though all looks normal under there :?

Well I don't know who that was more stressful for, me or Boris :shock:
But no Jane, he does not have anyhing on or around his genital area.

Lucy x

It may still be Treponematosis ( Rabbit Syphillis ) One of my Buns only had the lesions on his nose in exactly the same place as Boris. I'd get your Vet to take a look at it tomorrow. If it is Treponematosis it should clear up after a course of Penicillin injections.

Janex :)

Thats what I read!
Often he gives me the jabs to administer myself to avoid further callout fees. Is Penacillin a safe jab to give? I know it must never be given orally.

Back