• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scared Rabbit

brownerz

New Kit
Firstly hi i am Sam im new to the forum.
:wave:

Right now this is complicated.
I went on holiday to turkey for a week while my bunnys stayed home with my cousin who is also a rabbit keeper. Although when i returned i found one of my rabbits had been eaten by a fox. This didnt please me at all although im happy that i still have the other rabbit. The rabbit that was saved used to be really energetic but after this traumer she has just sat in one corner of her 2 story hutch for 3 days. She is really cuddly but she wont move from the spot excep when she needs a drink or some food. I dont know what to do and any help would be much appreciated. Just to point out the rabbits were sisters and they have never been apart.

Thank you so much
sam

Sounds like she may be missing her sister :cry: Bunnies need company!

Is she spayed? If so, you need to find out where your local rabbit rescue is and see about getting her a playmate. If you say where you are in the country then there may be someone on here with a rescue that can help you :D

If she's not already spayed then you need to get that sorted first and then do as I said above x

Your rabbit is almost certainly traumatized by what she has witnessed (if she witnessed it). She will be very nervous indeed because as a prey species they have a natural fear built in. She will also be grieving for her sister. If she didn't see what happened then she will be wondering where her sister went and will be missing her dreadfully.

She will need a lot of time, love and gentle handling to feel more confident.

Grieving bunnies can be very unhappy and certainly will be lonely in the long term if not re-bonded. As soon as you feel she is a bit brighter, then I would get her a new friend, who will help her back to her normal self.

Dependent on whether she was taken whilst out free range :)() or from her hutch, you may also find that she will not want to be out in the open - rabbits will feel more comfortable hiding away in something.

I do hope she recovers in time.

thanks for the responses. Great help. but should i get her spayed then get another female or get a male. Yes she keeps hiding in the hutch in a corner she wont leave the cage much.

A neutered male with a spayed female is the more usual combination TBH. Book her in for her spay in a couple of weeks and spend lots of time with her in the meantime to build up her confidence. And start looking for a neutered boy in a rescue centre for her ... look here www.rabbitrehome.org.uk as a starting point x

Back