• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ideas on how to get a wee sample!?

davemulheran

Warren Scout
Hi all

I need to get a wee sample from Ralph to the vet so he can test it.
He's given me these plastic balls that they use for cats to replace their litter so the wee isnt soaked up... . But im not sure they are good to use

has anyone got any good ideas!?

thks

Dave

They are probably the easiest thing. If you're worried about him nibbling them you can put a sheet of fine plastic mesh over the top :)

Tam

Ooh I tried for weeks to get a sample off Maddie last year! I got those plastic balls off the vets too but Maddie being Maddie, she tried to eat them :shock:

Only way I could get her to "go" was in a clean litter tray with only a small layer of hay in it and whisked the wee out as soon as she was done.

Good luck!!

this sounds a nightmare...good luck... prays i never have to get a bunny sample its bad enough if i have to try and go to give one... i just cant so i understand how those little buns feel!

Well! This is exactly what i was given last night to get a wee sample from Alfie. It worked perfectly well. Although I did have to wait for four hours! Alfie did not attempt to eat it at all, but i did give him a rack of fresh hay to distract him.
As soon as I'd got the sample I changed him back to his normal litter.

the litter the vet gave me had a pippette inside the bag.

Hi all

I need to get a wee sample from Ralph to the vet so he can test it.
He's given me these plastic balls that they use for cats to replace their litter so the wee isnt soaked up... . But im not sure they are good to use

has anyone got any good ideas!?

thks

Dave

Hi

We always use a carry cage with a snug fitting tray in the bottom and a little hay in the bottom of said tray. The hay does not absorb the urine but it does stop the urine from being absorbed by the rabbit if you see what I mean.

We mainly have used this method for checking the kidney function of rabbits that drink a lot.....briefly if you put a rabbit in a cage for a number of hours without access to water and test its urine for concentration at regular intervals with a refractometer (obviously replacing the hay and cleaning out the tray each time)you can determine if the kidneys concentate the urine as the rabbit looses fluids i.e urine. The longer you go into the test ...the more the urine should be concentated.....its not hugey scientific but it does give an indication that the kidneys are doing their job in a rabbit that drinks large amounts and pees accordingly.

hope this helps

alan.

Back