• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is my bunny trying to talk to me??

rstar06

New Kit
Hi all! I'm new to this site as i've only just found it, I was delighted to find a forum dedictade to my favorite furry friends!

Anyway, if you dont mind I'd like to start off right away with a question.

Biscuit, my 8 month old mini Lop has recently found her voice, as whenever I approach her cage after she hasnt seen me for a few hours (whilst i've been at work for example) she jumps up and down on the wire in a very excitable fashion, and makes the cutest noise. I can't really describe how it sounds, other than say it sounds really cute and almost definately comes from her mouth (she's not snorting). As soon as I open the cage she drops her head for a little attention and then she's silent again. When she's in the house she never makes a sound, its only when she's excited to see me or my girlfriend. Its almost like she's bursting with excitement?!?!

She's only been doing it for the past four weeks, since she's started to love human interaction, rather then just running around and biting things:D

We've had two rabbits before, both Dutch, and neither made a sound so its all a bit new to me having a vocal mini lop!

Incidently she had a general check up last week and the vet said she was fine (and VERY lovely), although stupidly I did forget to mention that she talks!!!! :?

So....is she just a very happy bunny, or is it something strange/wrong?

Hello and welcome.

It sounds like your bunny does what mine does when I've got food. She makes a humming noise. I don't think there is anything wrong with your rabbit. She is probably excited as you say. Some rabbits are vocal and some are not.

My rabbit makes a honking/oinking noise occasionally but when she is very excited and is offered her favourite food she makes a kind of snorting noise! She also likes to show her dislike for being picked up by making a horrible panting noise like she is having some sort of lung failure but as soon as you put her down she stops it and runs off!

haha, humming, oinking and honking pretty much describes the sound she makes exactly! Thank you, your so much better at this than me :)

Sounds like she's just please to see me then! which is great as I always rush home to see her!

Luckily Biscuit loves being picked up, and being cuddled!

Thanks for your quick replies! :wave:

I know rabbits can be vocal, one of my boys hums round my feet but never knew what that meant!! But some of them are so quiet its strange they can do it but its their choice! :D But welcome!! :D This is a fab place!!

thats really sweet!

My rabbit, love her! is a stressy little thing! i had her out in the house the other day and went to pick her up, and she growled at me, :? she doesnt normally growl at me, just my mum and my dad! :lol: i was a little upset! lol she has NEVER growled at me before :shock: :cry:

She also likes to show her dislike for being picked up by making a horrible panting noise like she is having some sort of lung failure but as soon as you put her down she stops it and runs off!

sorry, but that me :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bertie does this too, your description is brilliant :D

Back