• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Bedding

NellieNooNoo

Warren Scout
I've read the posting about not using woodshavings, so I'm not going to buy anymore after this bag has run out, which I have used since I have had my bunnies. I've just bought a shredder - am I correct in thinking that shredded paper and newspaper is okay for their bedding?

I mix wood shavings and shredded paper. The shredded paper works better then sheets, as my guys race around the run so much and bedding moves with them.

Do they eat the shredded paper, not sure if mine are nibbling or just investigating the new bedding - have to keep an eye on them. They wouldn't go back in the hutch for ages :D

I used shredded paper once for a short time when I ran out of bedding, was not very nice!! :shock:

It's safe, don't get me wrong, just not good at absorbing or taking smell away.

You'd be better off with a non-clumping, paper or wood based cat litter, or something like Megazorb. :D I used wood litter and it's very good and safe. :)

i read on here the other day about the woodshavin issue,so i changed my bunnie and pigs 2 laying paper down and then i put a lot ov hay in..and i noticed that the slight watery eye that flopsy had has now gone....:D

We use a variety of bedding here depending on what people want, but find that using a horse bedding that we get from Norman at the Dust free hay company (only available via collection) is fantastic, lovely and soft and the buns love it. It is dust free shavings mixed with dust free wheat straw.

i recently stopped using sawdust and changed to megazorb for my bunnies! with wood based cat litter in their trays also with hay whereever they please

for my guniea pigs (as they are so messy) i use newspaper and a thin thin thin layer of sawdust/straw mix. then lots of hay! i change this everyday!

i did try newspaper with my bunnies but they chew it and throw it everywhere so i gave up with that idea lol

i would recommend megazorb!!!

im sure i read that shaving do something to the liver so its not an immediate problem but will be seen when its too late to sort it out.... sorry i cant remeber the site i saw it on tho :oops:

I got really scared when someone said their vet was doing an op on a bunny and its lungs were full of sawdust!!!!!
Its on here somewhere!!
x

Sooooo confused now :shock: Let me get this right I can used cat litter as the one I get for my cat is compressed sawdust pellets???

Yes you can use a wood based cat litter.

But I've just thought, is this for putting over the whole hutch/cage? You only put it in the litter tray, not the whole cage.

I put newspaper down, straw on top and then some hay... I think i posted somewhere else that this usually lasts about 1hour before it is all over the run :roll: but if you clean them out regulary it is fine... They dont have a litter box because they hate them but they always do the majority of their poo's in one place anyway. I just roll the newspaper up, pop it in the wheely bin and put new down!
My rabbits are posh and poo on The Times :lol: Although they did have The Sun as a treat the other day... (make sure there are no staples though!)

I've never seen the point in shavings, unless is in a litter tray with hay on top. Surely it just makes a mess and encourages them to toilet everywhere? Mine all have a tray for a toilet and a tray for a bed, both lined with newspaper then hay. When they've decided which one is the loo, I add extra newspaper to that one..... seems to work great and they dont have hay covered in wee.

I put newspaper down, straw on top and then some hay... I think i posted somewhere else that this usually lasts about 1hour before it is all over the run :roll: but if you clean them out regulary it is fine... They dont have a litter box because they hate them but they always do the majority of their poo's in one place anyway. I just roll the newspaper up, pop it in the wheely bin and put new down!
My rabbits are posh and poo on The Times :lol: Although they did have The Sun as a treat the other day... (make sure there are no staples though!)

i had to stop using the sun, pearl objected to page 3 :lol::lol::lol:

Back