• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

humping, humping and more humping

Well, we've had Cookie(now 3 years old female mini Rex) for just a year and Puzzle(born last June black Dutch) since he was 6 weeks old. We had him deplummed at 4 months and bonded the 2 of them 7 weeks later. They have been best friends since the amazingly easy first day back in January.
BUT suddenly all they are doing is humping!!! Is this just spring fever? Is this a new side to their "friendship"? Is this the end of a beautiful bonding experience? Should we seperate them? Forever? This has been going on for a few days. I put them in a new run to see if that would distract them, but it didn't work for long. My little girls think they are playing piggieback ride but my preteen daughter is mortified! Help!

I've had Flopsy since he was 8 weeks old and then rescued Jem last November - (had flopsy since June) - hence Flopsy was 7 months old and Jem 1 in approx December. They were bonded by bunnymadhouse and very loved up.

After coming home and being together very happy after about 3 weeks I noticed Flopsy humping Jem.

Not a problem as Jem just either shrugs him off or lets him get on with it.

I guess if there is no fighting then they are ok. There generally is a more dominant one of the two. Jem is more dominant with food - Flopsy is more dominant with humping.:shock::rolleyes:

Not sure but could it be territorial behaviour over hutch etc. If she has been there for 3 years and a newcomer is threatening to her and therefore she has to be the dominant one.

As long as there is no fur pulling and locking on I am sure they will be ok.

Im afraid your very much spot on with the 'spring fever' analysis. Rabbits react to the lenghtening of days, it signals the start of the primary breeding season for them and even neutered rabbits are capable of chemical changes in the brain which adjusts their behaviour accordingly.

It WILL settle down but they need to get through this phase. Do keep an eye on them as the rare couple may fall out quite nastily.

I am watching my male pair with baited breath at the moment, so far only a minor bit of fur pulling. :)

Thanks very much. I'll keep an eye on them and maybe seperate them if it gets worse. I really hope they'll settle down again soon. I think I'll make some fun exciting changes to their environment to see if I can distract them. A tunnel or two and a castle to start with. Maybe make a bunny obstacle course sort of thing....Can't wait till the dandelions come on--never thought I'd say that(before getting the bunnies)!

Thanks very much. I'll keep an eye on them and maybe seperate them if it gets worse. I really hope they'll settle down again soon. I think I'll make some fun exciting changes to their environment to see if I can distract them. A tunnel or two and a castle to start with. Maybe make a bunny obstacle course sort of thing....Can't wait till the dandelions come on--never thought I'd say that(before getting the bunnies)!

Offer them both a space to escape if it gets to much, some cardboard boxes with holes in both ends, carriers that they can sit on, some tunnels. Dont move them into different territory though as that could trigger a change in hierachy.

Above all dont seperate them unless someone is in serious danger of getting hurt, what they are doing now is normal, and breaking a bond can be forever.

spring fever - I got Jem in December last year (already had Flopsy)and Flopsy didn't start to hump till January this year.:shock:

Sorry to be an exception to the cause but help is appreciated for me:oops:

Totally angelic towards each other from early December (bonded by bunnymadhouse) with no hormones (if you know what I mean) whilst they where with Angie - until late January this year. Not mammoth mounting but every now and again and its down to my Flopsy.

No probs with it but why over winter period.

spring fever - I got Jem in December last year (already had Flopsy)and Flopsy didn't start to hump till January this year.:shock:

Sorry to be an exception to the cause but help is appreciated for me:oops:

Totally angelic towards each other from early December (bonded by bunnymadhouse) with no hormones (if you know what I mean) whilst they where with Angie - until late January this year. Not mammoth mounting but every now and again and its down to my Flopsy.

No probs with it but why over winter period.

Rabbit spring does not follow the 'human' concept of spring.....we've had a mild winter and the bunnies will notice that, therefor, the breeding season may start earlier.

There are dominance and hierachial reasons for a resurgence in mounting, but the OP has a case of obvious Spring Fever IMO.

Fae and Joey have been going through a bit of this recently too. It must be the spring. I even caught Joey spraying the other day...somthing hes never done once since his neuter...i was shocked! As long as theres no fighting they should be ok

:shock: aah thanks ofr that spring sprung a while back for willow!! poor berties sick of her he has given up running cos she always gets him helets her do it then goes back to sleep!! he tires it with her everynow and then but she then waits and then has a go at him..i said its just domaince but its getting beyond a joke..the pong of bunnuy scent glands afterwards is burning the hairs of my nose:lol: and mine live indoors..mm does that confuse them electric light do you think?

spring fever is my guess too it seems all buns are at it! neutered or not!:lol:

Dont move them into different territory though as that could trigger a change in hierachy.

Oh poo. Didn't want to consider that - Herbie is being a right moody man at the moment. One minute he wants Holly around, the next he is seeing her off. I was hoping a move out into their shed would distract him :?:?:? Little Holly is desperate to keep on his good side and follows him around to groom him. Sadly for her grooming him is nigh on impossible - she just ends up with a mouthful of fluff :(:(:(

Out in the other shed I have caught Rosie - normally the timid underbunny - trying to mount BJ :? She certainly has got spring fever!

When does it die down? This is our first Spring with bunnies.
Vanessa xx

My bun Willow is doing my nut at present and I put it down to her age - my vet wont spay her till six months so got a month to go. She's been trying to hump Bluebell and I noticed small amounts of his fur in the hutch? Could this be spring fever after all?

Back