• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Enrofloxacin and Metacam questions...

Teal'c

Alpha Buck
A fellow bunny owner asked me this...
===========
Hello,
i am looking for answers, i hope you can help, my 4 year old rabbit 1 week
ago had what i now know is sand coming from her bladder, the vet gave me
enrofloxacin 2cc once a day and matacam 1ml each 12 hours, she had seizures and
the second time she lost use of her 4 legs and died, i believe it was the pain
medication, her x rays were to be in 1 day, please if you can explain what
happened, my heart is broken, thanks

EDIT: More info

my rabbit had a little sludge for only 1 time, i took her to fast i guess to the vet, she ate a whole bowl of Romaine lettuce the next day, after metacam dose of 1ml every 12 hours she stopped eating but i was force feeding her with a recipe, she took a seizure around 9.00pm and came out of it and at 4.00am a seizure which made her paralyzed her 4 paws, her x ray was for tomorrow, i really believe it was the metacam and not the sand "sludge ", would you know anyone with alot of experience i would love to know what might of happened to her, thanks.

===========

Can anyone help her out? Any help would be very appreciated. She wants to be prepared when she talks to the vet again.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Really hard to say, a PM would be the best but its possible she actually had two different conditions and that the cause of death was a totally different illness to the bladder sludge.....It could have been renal failure (Meloxicam should not be given to rabbits with renal problems) maybe E Cuniculi or an upset of the GI tract caused by the Baytril.

I think the treating vet would be able to provide some answers but only a PM could *maybe* give conclusive results.

Rabbits often become floppy and 'fit' right before they die....its part of the passing process and does not always constitute a symptom of the illness however the earlier fit indicates something maybe affecting her nervous system.

Back