• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping Rabbits Together

Keyzzee

Warren Scout
Hi
Im hoping someone can give me some advice. I have (well had two rabbits) tutti and fruitti which I was told were both female, however, tutti 4 months later gave birth to five babies, Ive already had fruitti neuter to stop any more problems, however I have found a loving home for two babies and they left me about 2 weeks about when they were 10 weeks old, I couldnt find homes that I thought were suitable for the other three, so have decided to keep them, but this is where things seem to get complicated. I now have fudge, smudge and busta, two boys and a girl, they seem to get along very very well, always cleaning each other etc, I do intend to get the boys neutered in a couple of weeks, followed by mum and fudge a few weeks after that, but could some one advise me if I can keep the two boys and the girl together after they have been desexed. I have searched various website and have received conflicting theories.

:wave:
So long as they are neutered and they are bonded (they get on) there should be no problems at all. Problems only arise when territory and hormones are involved and if they have always lived together, and also if they are neutered there shouldn't be any problems at all.:)
After all, rabbits naturally live in huge groups in the wild, thats how they are happiest.

Edit: When you get them neutered, try and get them taken to the vet together, so you won't have to worry about having to rebond them after. My vet was fine about me taking both when I was only getting one done. :)

Many thanks Siona much appreciated and its such a relief, the 3 of them are so close, it would have been a nightmare trying to decide who stays with fudge, not to mention the expense of yet another hutch. I will be getting them neutered at the same time which will be very soon, poor things. But I trust the vet as he carried out the same operation on their dad a few months back and apart from being a bit quiet the day I brought him home, he's been fine, and the stitches etc were very neat and healed very quickly. :D

I have a trio of 2 boys and a girl that have lived together since babies. As long as the boys are done before any fights break out they should be fine :)

and be aware that boys are fertile for up to 6 weeks after neutering, so they will need to be kept away from unspayed females till then :)

also they may start to fight when they get to 'teenage' stage, whether neutered or not - it does help if they have lots of space, boxes etc. and if you scatter food on the floor rather than make them share a dish :)

I have a female spayed rabbit and want to get her a friend. I have been looking for a neutered male as all the info I can find suggests this is the best combination, however my friend has a Netherland dwarf which she took on after her neighbours kids got bored of it. Its a female and has not been spayed. She is trying to persuade me to take her bunny (although it is very well looked after, she is trying to find her company too). If I got her spayed is is likely she would get on with my rabbit?

Thanks for any help.

:wave:
So long as they are neutered and they are bonded (they get on) there should be no problems at all. Problems only arise when territory and hormones are involved and if they have always lived together, and also if they are neutered there shouldn't be any problems at all.:)
After all, rabbits naturally live in huge groups in the wild, thats how they are happiest.

Edit: When you get them neutered, try and get them taken to the vet together, so you won't have to worry about having to rebond them after. My vet was fine about me taking both when I was only getting one done. :)

When you suggest to "take them together" do you mean to have them nuetered the same day? That is what I was hoping my vet would do. Will this help to keep them bonded? I have two males that are now 9 weeks but someone else said his started fighting around 10 wks.

When you suggest to "take them together" do you mean to have them nuetered the same day? That is what I was hoping my vet would do. Will this help to keep them bonded? I have two males that are now 9 weeks but someone else said his started fighting around 10 wks.

Yes, try and get them done at the same time, but them you may have to keep them seperate for a day or so depending on what the vet says. If you do, keep them within smell and sight of one another and then put then back together using the bonding principles (small neutral space, scattered food instead of food bowls for a few hours until they are settled with one another again)

Even if you only get one done, most vets will allow you to take both into the vet so the bond isn't broken and they aren't left alone. :)

Back