• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Time between vaccinations.....

jessiebuns

Warren Scout
Is anyone elses vet now recommending 4 weeks between vaccinations rather than the usual 2 weeks?? Mine are. Just wondering.:)

when i took Rory back to the vets after his VHD (he was off colour) my Vet said next year we will wait 4 weeks rather than the 2 we waited, unfortunately Rory passed away less that 24 hours his VHD:cry:

I think 2 weeks is still the standard

We are still on the usual 2 weeks unless a bun has a bad reaction and then we wait until they are better before the next injection. It is important that the bunny is healthy prior to the injection.

Maria x

Hi Kirsty&Lola, so, so sorry about Roryxx Actually mine were done on Monday so I was reading your really sad posts about Rory at the time.
My vet said better to leave it the 4 weeks and I feel better doing that, I must admit.
Take care.

Juliaxx

We are still on the usual 2 weeks unless a bun has a bad reaction and then we wait until they are better before the next injection. It is important that the bunny is healthy prior to the injection.

Maria x

I totally agree, which is why Rory's death was such a shock because he was fit and healthy and showed no side effects to his myxo vaccine

Hi Kirsty&Lola, so, so sorry about Roryxx Actually mine were done on Monday so I was reading your really sad posts about Rory at the time.
My vet said better to leave it the 4 weeks and I feel better doing that, I must admit.
Take care.

Juliaxx

If Rory had pulled through, we would have waited 4 weeks between his boosters. I think it depends on the bun. Lola also had a bad reaction but to Cylap not Lapinject so we will be waiting longer between her boosters just in case

I'm still 2 weeks too - just had the new bun done for myxi on Monday, going back in 2 weeks for VHD

Sorry to hear about Rory :cry:

The new vet at my place says 4 weeks, but my regular vet says 2.. I got the myxi boosters done early so I'm going to wait 4 weeks - better safe than sorry!

mine say at least 2 weeks but the emphasis is heavily on that as a very minimum and they would be happier with a bigger gap.

My friend adopted a bun from the RSPCA and they did both myxo and vhd on the same day. I asked her to check with the rspca vet if this was ok cause I've always 2 weeks inbetween due to compromised immune system. The RSPCA vet said it was fine:?

I was talking to Anita about the myxo vaccs (regarding bi-annual vaccination and intradermal administration) the other day and she never mentioned that the minimum gap has been increased?

I cant believe some vets are still giving them at the same time :censored:

We tell clients 2weeks, It may depend on the drug company that the vaccine is made by?
The rule by vaccine company we use 'Lapinject' is that it cannot be less than 2 weeks.
xxxxxxx

Back