• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Building a new hutch...

coco1200

Warren Veteran
soon going to be building a new hutch (run combo) for 2 giants!

the hutch is only going to be for overnight as these rabbits will eventually have free range of the garden for the majority of the day.

how large do you think it would need to be?

right now theyre housed seperatley, Hermione's in a 4.5ft hutch and Oscar's in a 5x4 run with a dog carrier in it :lol: theyre in the garage at the moment, but let out in the mornings. Oscar goes into the garden and Hermione comes into the living room.

Once Oscar is neuterd (friday!!) they will eventually be together. :)

any chance you could buy a shed/playhouse instead?? I don't think any hutch is big enough for a giant. It would have to be high enough for the buns to periscope and fully grown giants need about 4ft height so they have room to spare.

unfortunatley, being a student, (and parents making me pay for them :lol:)
funds do stop there :cry: i cant really afford a shed/ playhouse. and i would like them in a larger sleeping arrangment asap.

oh the joys of being a student!!!!

you can buy a shed for £100. it would cost around that to make a hutch big enough for a giant, if not more...

x

My playhouse is going to be £155 and 5ftx3ft, big enough for 2 giants to sleep in and a reasonable price.

Am sure to build one it wouldn't be much more expensive than hutch and probably easier to be honest.

Helen

I'm a student so i know what you mean. However i really do feel a shed is the way to go. Have a look on ebay in your area or even focus/b and q. You could make a run to put on the side and have a cat (or more likely dog flap) for the buns to come in and out. If you do some research i think it'll cost you approx £150. You will be looking at paying that for all the components of the hutch and your buns won't out grow a shed, they will a hutch

hi,
thanks all for the help.

im going to try Freecycle first and then widen my searched from there.
lets hope ill get some replys!!

thats a good idea. i know its harder looking around but i'm sure there will be some people moving house or something who want rid of their shed or child's wendy house:)

You can probably pick up a second hand shed for under £100, half that if you're lucky :) Definitely try freead/freecycle :D

you can buy a shed for £100. it would cost around that to make a hutch big enough for a giant, if not more...

x

I agree, to make a hutch suitable for giants it would probably cost you £100 in decent materials..... a shed is far better. :)

yep. looking for a shed now!
i have another idea as well.....

we have a gap in between the house and the fence...
hx5csm.jpg

My father said he wants to do something challenging, so i guess that means he wants to build something

do you think you could do something here? cover up the top with perspex or wood? it certinaly would be bigger than a shed :)

That looks full of potential!

The fence looks pretty sturdy so I'd suggest tacking some mesh over the bottom few feet (to protect the fence from teeth) then put a roof over (put it above your head height so you can walk down. If you go for solid then do it at a slope so the rain runs off. You could probably screw a strip of wood along the house wall and along the fence top to attach the roof between. At the far end you've already got 3 walls so built a shelter in there. For giants you probably want about 3' deep - raise it slighly off the ground for warmth/avoid damp :)

It's going to be very sheltered so I wouldn't worry about a giant/hutch shed, particularly if you plastic the roof. They just need something big enough to fit in snuggly for sleeping/hiding :)

any suggestions?

You could just bought a floor in and cover the top and then put some kind of mesh door on the front. Altho to me honest you'd prob spend the same on materials to do that as you would to buy a small shed or playhouse. Can't your folks lend you some and you pay them back in installments?

Back