• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental Problem - Foods to keep him eating?

willow123

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

My dwarf lop Willow had to have dentals about every 7 weeks over a year ago, for spurs on his molars. When we got him a little friend, and increased his greens slowly, and he improved lots, and it has now been 11 months since his last dental, which we were thrilled about. He had one dodgly anaesthetic, when he turned a little blue, but all the others were fine for his dentals

Now it is typically the weekend, and he has been off his food. He is grinding a little, and I noticed the tell tale little dribbly wet chin to one side, as he used to get before. :(

I was wondering if anyone who has had this problem could advise food that I can tempt him to eat. So far, he has eaten some alph alpha stick, and some egg biscuit thing, and will eat a little of the finely diced veg I have just put in, but I wondered if anyone knew anything else to try. Need to keep his guts working until he can have a dental on Monday.

I work as a trainee vet nurse, so am taking him in with me on Monday to get them sorted. Sure it is his teeth, and he is bright and running round, just not eating much. I have the usual fibreplex, but he is a monster when I try to get some in him, opting for biting the end off the syringe!

Any advised on tempting foodstuff much appreciated.

Thanks

Liz and Willow

Last edited:
If his mouth is sore you could try mixing some of his pellets with some warm water to mush them up a bit and he may eat them himself. Get a few different herbs or kale to tempt him. Good luck.

Someone more experienced than me may be able to advise if you can give him any metacam as a painkiller until you can get his dental done.

Hey liz,
Yer I agree mushy food will help him. Hope he is ok over the weekend- Ill c u at work on Mon. Hope other experienced bunny mummy's can help.
xxx

I used baby food with a bun once but that brand is no longer on the market as it was years ago. We found she took it well by licking it off an ordinary teaspoon.
I would think a cereal based baby food with no milk content would be ok? Think about what a rabbit would eat in the wild and make your choice from that. Baby food should be free of salt and additives. Try pureeing some apple. Or I used to put grass and dandelion leaves in a blender to mush up and that seemed ok. -Sue:wave:

:wave: jess had no teeth at the front or on the back left so was a job to get her to eat sometimes...
bananas were really good, once they have a bit of brown on them.
shredded wheat bitesize, crumbled up
kale
cucumber
raisins (not to many though!)
grapes, cut in half
carrot ,finely diced
and if you cant get ANYTHING in them digestive biscuit, crumbled!!!:lol:
obviously not too much of things theyt havent had before but i decided that i would rather have a bun with less teeth than a bun with gi.
they normally eat better after a few days anyway.
good luck

Back