• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spring in Andalucia - more photos added

Bavarian Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
I have just returned from a few days in southern Spain. We flew to Jerez de la Frontera and then explored Andalucia. The weather was perfect and during our walks through the mountains we saw many interesting plants and animals. We saw amazing lizards, a snake, huge vultures and eagles and all sorts of other weird creatures, like a mole cricket for example. Most of the animals were too fast or too far away to take photos of them, maybe my boyfriend has a few that I can add later.

This is the view from the house we stayed at. It was self catering, with two bedrooms and two terraces. It was in a small village in the mountains, and I did well in bringing my earplugs. The neighbours had some very loud chickens that would not even shut up during the night. :rolleyes: The roads in those villages are very narrow, but luckily we had rented a small car. There was a gang of cats living in our street, they were adorable, but skinny (and probably full of fleas).

IMG_2458.jpg

From the old castle above the village you had this view. The mountain sticking out in the middle is Gibraltar, and behind it you can see the mountains of Morocco.

IMG_2460.jpg

This is Ronda, a very impressive town, which is built on tall cliffs. Nothing for people who suffer from vertigo. I saw some lovely geckos on a wall there, but they were gone before I could take a photo. :roll: The photo does not show how tall those cliffs really are, it is amazing if you stand at the edge and look down. :shock:

IMG_2455.jpg

This is the village that we stayed in. It's on top of a hill and on the right edge of the village you may be able to spot the ruins of the castle.

IMG_2466.jpg

We went to a place high up in the moutains, from which you had an amazing view all across the Sierras.

IMG_2448.jpg

Yesterday we stopped at Bolonia, a Roman town which is located at a wonderful beach.

IMG_2494.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

We saw some very sweet terrapins while hiking along a river, as well as storks, egrets and hundreds of frogs. I did not manage to see a chameleon, though. They are quite difficult to spot.

Last edited:
Oh I am so jealous! I stayed in Nerja a few years ago and I fell in love with the place. We took the day excursion to Gibraltar and saw the Barbary Apes - the coach ride up was so scary though.

I am so so so jealous, your photos are beautiful.

Gosh, that makes me feel a bit sad. My OH and I were moving to Andalucia before we got rabbits and then we put our plans on hold. We used to go 2-3 times a year and stayed in Arcos de la Frontera. We haven't been anywhere, not even for a night, since we fell in love with rabbits.

I miss the sun and the scenery, but would miss my buns even more if we went even for a week now.

Lovely photos, thanks for sharing.:)

Gosh, that makes me feel a bit sad. My OH and I were moving to Andalucia before we got rabbits and then we put our plans on hold. We used to go 2-3 times a year and stayed in Arcos de la Frontera. We haven't been anywhere, not even for a night, since we fell in love with rabbits.

I miss the sun and the scenery, but would miss my buns even more if we went even for a week now.

Lovely photos, thanks for sharing.:)

Awww, maybe you should find a reliable bunny sitter? I don't think I would want to live in Spain, it would be too hot for me in the summer, and too hot for the bunnies, too. It's ok for a short trip during the cooler months, though. This was my first trip to Spain ever. I normally go to very quiet places like Sweden or Norway.

Awww, maybe you should find a reliable bunny sitter? I don't think I would want to live in Spain, it would be too hot for me in the summer, and too hot for the bunnies, too. It's ok for a short trip during the cooler months, though. This was my first trip to Spain ever. I normally go to very quiet places like Sweden or Norway.

I am hoping that one day I will trust someone enough to house-sit for our 12 (13 as of tomorrow).

Norway is somewhere that my OH and I will try to go one day as we have friends that live there.

Anyway, thanks for the sunshine that your photos brought!:D

I am hoping that one day I will trust someone enough to house-sit for our 12 (13 as of tomorrow).

Norway is somewhere that my OH and I will try to go one day as we have friends that live there.

Anyway, thanks for the sunshine that your photos brought!:D

You're welcome. You can imagine how I felt when I looked out of the window this morning and saw all that rain coming down. :(
We're off to Norway in May and then to Sweden in August. We always prefer to do self catering, it's cheaper and you get more peace and quiet. It's also easier when the kids are coming along. Hopefully we'll meet my friend in Norway, whom I haven't seen in more than 15 years.

Where in Andalucia had you planned to live?

Oh Gisela, what FANTASTIC pics!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D Such beautiful scenery, and amazing blue skies......you lucky thing!!!!!:D :D

Here are some photos from my boyfriend's camera. He can get better close-ups with his camera.

First some flowers. Apart from the little yellow ones in the first photo, they are all from the Legume family, even the tree with the lovely pink flowers. I collected some seed pods from it.

IMG_2491.jpg

AJsPhotos2000077.jpg

IMG_2486.jpg

AJsPhotos2000066.jpg

Spot the frog, lizard and terrapins in the next photos. :D

IMG_2479.jpg

AJsPhotos2000123.jpg

AJsPhotos2000113.jpg

This is a mole cricket. It was between 2 and 3 inches long and looked like some alien creature. I had never seen something so weird before:

AJsPhotos2000097.jpg

I *think* this is some kind of blister beetle. It definitely secreted a red liquid from its sides and I would not want to touch it. It was a bit less than 2 inches in length.

AJsPhotos2000119.jpg

And here is a stork. We passed several estuaries, and all the pylons and other suitable structures in these areas had stork nests on them. There were hundreds of storks, and some were feeding little stork babies already.

IMG_2484.jpg

Wow fab pics. The pinky flower is Hedysarum Coronarium ( French Honeysuckle). Very easy to grow and very pretty. I agree I wouldn't want to touch that last beetle. I think red is a good warning to 'not go there' :lol:

Wow fab pics. The pinky flower is Hedysarum Coronarium ( French Honeysuckle). Very easy to grow and very pretty. I agree I wouldn't want to touch that last beetle. I think red is a good warning to 'not go there' :lol:

I did not collect seeds from the Hedysarum, but it looks amazing. There were whole meadows of it in that Roman town. The seeds I collected were from that tree with the pink flowers. Wonder if the pod is on the painting of Legume seeds that I have above my desk. :lol: Any idea what that tree could be? I also collected a few seeds from a carob tree, they were all along the path we walked . The trees with the pink flowers are only in towns, they seem to be popular trees for parks.

Wow, what lovely photos - amazing views :D I don't like the look of those insects though :shock:

Spain in the springtime can be lovely - lots of spring flowers and beautiful scenery without the heat of summer.

Those are some BRILLIANT photos especially the ones of the insects!
I once went to bulgaria years ago and saw the most unusual insects... ones that looked like a miniture helicopter - very strange.

I have a weird fear of things that look like centipedes/milipedes

I did not collect seeds from the Hedysarum, but it looks amazing. There were whole meadows of it in that Roman town. The seeds I collected were from that tree with the pink flowers. Wonder if the pod is on the painting of Legume seeds that I have above my desk. :lol: Any idea what that tree could be? I also collected a few seeds from a carob tree, they were all along the path we walked . The trees with the pink flowers are only in towns, they seem to be popular trees for parks.

It looks very similar to a cherry, but it's difficult to tell. Very pretty though.:D

Those are some BRILLIANT photos especially the ones of the insects!
I once went to bulgaria years ago and saw the most unusual insects... ones that looked like a miniture helicopter - very strange.

I have a weird fear of things that look like centipedes/milipedes

I am not a big fan of insects, at least not when they get too close to me. That mole cricket came tumbling down the path we were hiking on, and at first I thought it was a mouse. I read that they are one of the rarest insects in the UK. I didn't even know they existed.
We also saw a big bee with a beautiful dark blue shiny body. And some lovely butterflies. And I saw my first ever cockroach outside a zoo. :lol:
When we drove past Gibraltar we came to a hill with a "mirador", a place with a nice view, and it was full with birdwatchers waiting for migrating raptors. They all had serious equipment, not just little binoculars like we did.

Back