• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wanted to know ?

kas1uk

Young Bun
I have just booked my male rabbit in to be nuetered and the girl said I was to fast him fron 6 o clock the night before i didnt think u had to fast a rabbit so I was wondering if anybody here knew ?

Hi, rabbits cannot be sick, so they do not need to be starved before an op. In fact it is dangerous to starve a rabbit as they need to be able to eat whenever they want to keep their guts working. Maybe you should tell your vets to make sure their reception and nursing staff know this.

Hi, rabbits cannot be sick, so they do not need to be starved before an op. In fact it is dangerous to starve a rabbit as they need to be able to eat whenever they want to keep their guts working. Maybe you should tell your vets to make sure their reception and nursing staff know this.

That is what i was thinking i am a bit worried about taking him out there now as surely they should have know that .

Do not fast him, its very very dangerous and under no circumstances should any member of staff be giving out this advice.

Can I recommend you call them back and ask the VET if this is standard procedure for a rabbit. If s/he says yes I would take my rabbit somewhere else. :?

Do not strave your rabbit before an operation as this could serious harm him. Please inform your vet of the receptionist's mistake as this could lead to the death of someones bunny. A rabbits digestive system requires continuous food to keep it going.

I know someone else who was told the same thing - fortunately she mentioned it to me in passing and I told her not to. The receptionist thought her bun was a cat:roll:

Hope it all goes well :)

This is rather worrying advice :( Bunnies should be allowed to eat right up until their op and encouraged to start eating afterwards as soon as possible. I would call the surgery and ask to speak directly to the vet or vet nurse. Provided they give you the "correct" information I would explain to them what the receptionist said and ask them to ensure that she is trained to give the correct information!

yep i agree..my vet made a point of letting me know not to fast him.call back check its not just the receptionist giving out wrong info..and if she is, speak to the vet and tell them and if its the vets saying it tell them they are wrong and go elsewhere i think.

I think it is a common problem with receptionists in vets, they assume all animals are the same, and all need to be starved before an op. The vets themselves are probably fine, they just haven't thought to mention it to reception staff, which is why you should tell your vets about it and let them rectify it.
And I'm not having a go at receptionists in vets, because I am one!

When I was ringing around vets inquiring about spays, I was told this everywhere. Vets here are just awful with rabbits. :roll: One my mum rang, the receptionist went and got the vet to answer her questions, and the vet told us they need to be starved before, not just the receptionist. :roll::( Thank goodness I knew different, I'm sure most people don't. How can it be that vets are so clueless? :cry:

Do not strave your rabbit before an operation as this could serious harm him. Please inform your vet of the receptionist's mistake as this could lead to the death of someones bunny. A rabbits digestive system requires continuous food to keep it going.

I know someone else who was told the same thing - fortunately she mentioned it to me in passing and I told her not to. The receptionist thought her bun was a cat:roll:

Hope it all goes well :)

I phoned back and asked the receptionist was she sure I had to fast Todd and she said she would ask the vet.She said the vet who has been a vet for 40 years said yes I had to fast him in case he was sick during the surgery.

I phoned another vets and asked them and they said you should never fast a rabbit and explained Stasis to me .So that is the vet that Todd is going to.

Thank goodness I have been reading this site or I wouldnt have know any better and just took the first vets word for it .

I phoned back and asked the receptionist was she sure I had to fast Todd and she said she would ask the vet.She said the vet who has been a vet for 40 years said yes I had to fast him in case he was sick during the surgery.

I phoned another vets and asked them and they said you should never fast a rabbit and explained Stasis to me .So that is the vet that Todd is going to.

Thank goodness I have been reading this site or I wouldnt have know any better and just took the first vets word for it .

Thank goodness you were! That really is VERY worrying :cry: Don't know what to suggest but it just worries me that other people are risking their bunnies' lives when they take them there :cry:

I dont suppose you could ask ther vet you are using for some veterinary reference material on rabbit surgery that you could dicreetly post to the other vets?

I dont suppose you could ask ther vet you are using for some veterinary reference material on rabbit surgery that you could dicreetly post to the other vets?

I suppose I could ask them for some and post them to it I dont think a vet of 40 years would appreciate it though :roll:

That is so worrying, thank god you knew better :shock: Are they RCVS appoved? If so I would let them know the advice you were given!

That is so worrying, thank god you knew better :shock: Are they RCVS appoved? If so I would let them know the advice you were given!

What is RCVS ? and how would I find out because I would let them know the advice I was given.I would like other rabbits to be safer and not put at risk by bad advice.

That's awful, If they don't know something as basic as that I hate to think what treatment (if any) they give to rabbits with more complicated problems :(:(

Glad you checked and changed vets. I hate to think what other advice this vet gives out to people!! 40 years of vet practice - obviously never studied rabbit medicine.

Sadly, older vets seem to not be aware of small animal treatments. Small animal medicine has moved on so much since they qualified, they probably can't keep up. I'm glad you've moved elsewhere, but I would also send the other vet a letter informing them of why you went elsewhere and what the proper procedure is. Hopefully they will take it on board and other rabbits may be saved from the risks already mentioned.

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock: that is really scary if vets get it wrong how do owners without the net know any better :(

Back