• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should i take Charlie to the vets???

charlie3

Warren Scout
Charlie didn't eat his breakfast this morning. So this moning i gave him warm water via a syringe, then he had some colic drops and still he wouldn't eat. We started to get some rumbles from his tummy. He then had some mashed up food via syringe. He has been drinking lots of warm water from a bowl all day (had them both in the house all day). About an hour ago he ate some hay and a little bit of rich tea biscuit, and just a min ago he ate a little bit of spring green and 2 papaya tablets. He has also just done a string of 4 poos and seems more like his normal self now. He has an emergency app at the vets at 6pm (which i booked this morning when he didn't eat), but not sure if he needs to go now as seems on the mend???????????

What do you think?

Claire

GI stasis is usually secondary to another underlying cause. If this is not identified it can happen recurrently.

I would keep your vets appointment and get him thoroughly checked over, plus any meds he may need, else he may go down hill in the night and you may find yourselves with an extortionate emergency vets bill.

He's now eating carrot peelings! He had the same thing about 6 months ago and the vet said there was nothing wrong with him. He has regular checks, his teeth are great.
Wondering whether he may have ingested some hair??
Would they still give him meds if he is eating?

Depends on what his guts sound like. If they sound slow they may give him metaclopromide to keep them moving.

If in doubt, get down the vet.

Back