• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

phantom pregnancy?

Lyn29

New Kit
I have had a rabbit for 2 weeks now and i knew she had been with a male rabbit for 3 weeks before that :love: she is about 9 months but the male is only 4 to 5 months (they think). two nights ago she was pulling out fur, but kept it in her mouth. i left expecting babies in the morning. the next day she kept running in and out of the hutch but when i went in later i moved the hay and there was no nest, only a little fur left by her food bowl and no baby. would she have ate the fur. do you think she has had a phantom pregnancy, or would she have pulled fur out days before having them?
also she was quite thin when she came to me :cry: so she has put on a bit of wait :) but doesnt look like she is obviously carrying a baby. when she lays on her side i can see a slight ripple, but nothing like when my guinie pig was pregnant. are there any other signs i can look out for?

Last edited:
So four weeks ago she was in with a male? In that case I would plan for the fact she may well be pregnant. Males can be fertile as young as 12 weeks and at 4-5 months could certainly get a female pregnant.

Rabbits often don't show obvious signs of pregnancy - nothing like the way guinea pigs turn pear shaped :) It ay be she's built a nest to early, will delivr soon or it could be a phantom. You won't know for definite until 4 weeks after she was removed from the male.

Tamsin

Back