• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering

Rabbit1986

Alpha Buck
Right, got my 2 boys booked in for the snip on 20th March, is there anything i can do before hand or afterwards to ensure they are ok? Would just liek to be as well prepared as possible. thanks.

I got a good tip from Adele in the form of Rescue Remedy. Apparently a few drops of this calms rabbits.

TP;)

I just had my lad neutered and I had a Snuggle Safe ready but didn't get to use it as he stayed over night at the vets. They had an emergency and didn't get to to his op until late so he wasn't ready to collect by closing time. I made sure I had an indoor rabbit cage freshly scrubbed set up with a section of vet bed and clean towels. No litter as it could get in the wound. I also had several other clean towels ready to change the ones in the cage when they got dirty. Also, I had some nice fresh foods like curly kale and carrots with the tops on to tempt Warren to eat. Although by the time he eventually came home he was eating and as if nothing had happened.

Before the op make sure they get a good meal in them as it helps them in case they don't feel like eating afterwards.

All the advice here is great.

Arthur was de-plummed last week and we kept him indoors over night. We didn't have a cage so we used four sides of his metal run to make a cube. He was very sleepy afterwards and a bit grumpy. We tried to stroke him and soothe him but he made it clear he wanted to be alone so we just watched a DVD on low volume (didn't want to give him a headache!).

We just put newspaper in his litter tray and plenty of soft fluffy towels and a carrot top which he munched. He seemed confused for a while but the next day he was back to his normal self.

One word of advice don't let him jump when you get him home.

It will be fine.

xx

Thanks for all the advice, its not actually going to be practical for me to keep them indoors, do you think this will be a problem? I mean if it is i'm sure i can sort something. But have stocked up on towels and a snugglesafe each, and their favourite veg etc. They are both pretty ok with going in and out of their carriers so hopefully that won't be a problem. I've been a member of this forum for months and months and thought i'd be fine, but i'm actually really nervous.

I only kept Arthur in because it was last week during that freezing weather and I wanted him to be warm. But to be honest he was a little more stressed at being indoors as its not his usual routine.

If your bun is used to being outside then I reckon in MHO that he would be fine.

It is nerve racking, though and expect to feel sick all the time he is at the vets ;)

When you say rescue remedy is it that stuff taht comes in a dropper and tastes a bit like sherry? If so where do i buy it and how much do i want to be giving them and for how long before and after the op? Sorry for the 100's of questions really don't want anything to go wrong.

Yes, it IS that stuff you get from chemists (or larger stores) - I checked with Adele when I read the tip. Take a look at the thread about Scamp's snip (posted by Tamsin) in Rabbit Chat - it was posted originally there.

TP;)

Question: after castrating your males, did the vet seal the wound (stitches or glue) or were they just left to heal naturally? If you want to know why I'm asking, the full story is in the castration post op complications post. Glad yours went more smoothly than mine - trying to find out if my vets have been the cause/poor advice leading to Berties problems

Thanks for all the advice, its not actually going to be practical for me to keep them indoors, do you think this will be a problem? I mean if it is i'm sure i can sort something.

Its difficult for buns to maintain their body temperature after an anesthetic, so I think I'd be tempted to keep them indoors - in a coolish room if they're not used to it - for the night, if you possibly can. You can also check that they're eating and pooping again easier if they're inside.

Hi :wave:

I went trhough the parental anxiety on Monday with Fudge-but given he is used to the vets with his bunny checks etc it wasn't at all stressful for him...I on the other hand was a jibbering wreck and can admitt to feeling sick at leaving him and had a bloody long cry both the night before and having left him at the vets.:rolleyes:

Fudge is an indoor bunny so before I took him to the vets made sure his home was nice and clean and snugglie for his return and put newspaper only in his litter tray to stop it getting in his wounds.

He was in good form when he came home, although a little dopey but ate well, piddled, and piddled some more, got shaken out of bed by the earthquake and then was totally fine from Tuesday lunchtime onwards.:roll:

Since being done-he has started to lick my nose when it is within in his reach and still does his hopping around my feet buzzing....we even had binky-ing Tuesday afternoon.

Take your boys a pack-up with them to the vets-so no risk of upset tummy's from different food and remember to include some bits to tempt them to eat again....something it seems Fudge didn't have a problme with and ate everything I had sent in his pack up box :rolleyes:

Post op he has been great-no problems with his wounds, we still have a blue tinge to the area around where his plums were but he hasnt done anything silly. He seemed to know within himself what his limits were.....

Hope all goes well and dont get too worked up...your boys will be fine....is it worth asking the vets to snuggle them together in the same carrier if it will be less stressful for them?

Thinking of you all
Kelly and Fudge x

:wave: Im sure they will be fine :D

I would keep them in a couple of days after the op :D What I did for mine was just put them in the bathroom with plenty of vetbed and soft towels/blankets for a few days :D There isnt really anything in a bathroom that can be damaged or dangerous to a bunny and its not a massive room or anything so ideal if they need to only stay in a couple of days :D

I sent all mine into the vet with a packed lunch of their usual pellets which I mixed with apple pellets and papya tablets as a treat to encourage them to eat. Also I took in two different types of veg each and their favourite fruit each :D And I filled a little bag with oat hay because thats all my buns favourite type of hay.

After the ops I just left them all alone but still kept an eye on them, Trip was back to normal within a few hours of being home but I just let him rest :D Both my girls were really moody afterwards so I didnt sit there bugging them and trying to give them nose rubs or anything :lol: I used newspaper in the trays and only gave them a tiny amount of hay in a basket to stop them dropping it all over the floor and laying in it. I just kept giving them another small handfull when it was empty :D

Vets tend to superglue wounds - I know my bun was superglued - it keeps the wound closed and stops the bun from pulling open the stitches

My little foster boy was done a few days ago. He's used to being outside, but he had cold ears when he came home and didn't look himself.:(
Luckily I have a HUGE Ferplast carrier (for my 2 giants) which I'd set up in the kitchen with vetbed.
It took him a few hours to warm up with a snugglesafe and the heating on, but he picked up really quickly once he'd started eating again.
I took a "lunch box" with him to the vets and they reckon he ate within a few hours of his op.
For boys I'd def say avoid them jumping for a few days (longer for girls IMO) - keep them on the one level.
My little boy was glued, not stitched.

Grow your nails for the week before so you've something to chew on when they go in - the waiting is the worst bit.
Good luck - I hope it all goes well:D

Walter was deplummed yesterday :rolleyes: and he's back to his normal self already! He was a bit sleepy last night so we left him alone in the lounge with a baby blanket and a stack of carrot tops, today he's bounding round the room as normal occasionally looking to see where his beloved plums have gone! lol

Hopefully I'll be able to introduce them all soon :rolleyes:

Becky x x

Hi. I work at a vets and we recommend to atleast keep them in the first night after their anaesthetic as it is very important to keep them warm the first night and to keep a close eye on them. All of the advice given is fantastic. I would also say take a little bag with his favourite treats and food as they really need to eat and it will encourage them if their food is familiar and their favourite. We usually keep cats and things in the same kennel if they are coming together so if your vet will do this for your buns then I would recommend it. Atleast they could snuggle up together and maybe not be as frightened. I hope all goes well. I adopted 2 buns that had already been done which was a load off my mind but I would be a nervous wreck too. Try not to worry.:D

Back