• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is this plant in their hay?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
hiya

I found this plant in my bunnies' hay. It has thorns on it and it's really sharp. As soon as Milly picked it up, she dropped it again. What is it? Is it safe? I got the hay from The Hay Experts, but found the same plant in hay from my local pet shop, the whole reason why I changed my hay from pet shop to HE.

18lpxz.jpg

r072o7.jpg

35jdv6h.jpg

2gt15wk.jpg

I found the same thing in bestpets bag of hay i would love to know what it is .i get a big bale of hay from a farm now

is it not just dry brackheny stuff, my mum farms organic hay and theres always odd bits like this, just weeds and thistley things that grown in grass i say:)

Thistles come in several varieties, and some of them are notifiable to the min of agriculture as they cause harm to livestock - that would be bunnies too! I would complain to the company and ask for a replacement bale - that's what I do when I find thistles in mine - and OUCH!!! the pain of finding them! :shock:

i sometimes get hay from qd they sell bags of lovely long hay and it's often green and yummy, but the bag i had last week, was full of those thistles too, hurt my hand getting them out, threw it away in the end, got another bag this week, and it was fine.
not nice at all for the buns and guinea pigs

Thistle me thinks, man I have to start buying that stuff for my horse... He loves thistles, though bit thorny for poor little buns delicate mouths!! :roll:

definitely a 'thistle' though so dried difficult to tell which type. In fact buns hapilly chomp away at thistles (only a very very few varieties contain chemicals that are not good for them). They also love huge old blackberry stems and rose stems, and all sorts of thorny things. They seem to cope with the thorns. Sow thistle (which isn't actually at all thorny) is another treat.

Back