• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Incisorless buns ingest more fur.

Nicola3

Mama Doe
My incisorless bun has not been himself the last few days.... quieter than normal. I took him to the vet yesterday and as soon as my vet saw him she suspected straight away it was because he was in full moult. She couldn't believe it was the same bun as I had seen her the previous week and my little man hadn't been in moult. In a matter of a week he is in full on moult. He has big black patches all over him.

My vet also has an incisorless bunny and she has noticed that her rabbit ingests a lot more fur than a bunny normally would. Normally a bunny would groom itself with it's teeth and tongue and a lot of the hair would not be ingested but with incisorless bunnies a lot of hair sticks to the tongue and is ingested.

Does anybody else find this to be the case with their incisorless bunnies?

Nicola and Harvey xxx

I don't see why they would, can't say I've ever seen a rabbit with incisors spit out the hair that will inevitably stick to its tongue/teeth :lol:

I have two incisorless rabbits and I cant say that seems the case however rabbits in a heavy moult are distinctly uncomfortable and this does affect their mood, infact some behaviourists believe it to be very stressful.

This is one of my main reasons for brushing my bunnies when in moult, to make it more comfortable and to help it pass quicker.

I have two incisorless rabbits and I cant say that seems the case however rabbits in a heavy moult are distinctly uncomfortable and this does affect their mood, infact some behaviourists believe it to be very stressful.

This is one of my main reasons for brushing my bunnies when in moult, to make it more comfortable and to help it pass quicker.

how often do you brush sooz, i spend every opportinity i can plucking the loose patches of hair off Alvin but to brush him im lucky if i can get a handful off him once day hes so violent with the brush :(
at least once a day i find a string of between 2 or 5 poops connected by hair, its never ending with him, and pearl grooms him quite a lot and her poop has started to string now too...

very very worried :(

how often do you brush sooz, i spend every opportinity i can plucking the loose patches of hair off Alvin but to brush him im lucky if i can get a handful off him once day hes so violent with the brush :

Try wetting your hands slightly and stroking him. The hair will stick to your hands and you can just roll it into a ball and bin it.

Don't worry about strings of poos too much. I'm a firm believer that hair from a normally coated rabbit doesn't cause problems unless the guts are already sluggish.

Amy

Hi Sooz :wave:

Poor babes. It is strange that it affects them this way.

My boy has really fine fur as he is a wildie bun. Combs just run straight through his fur and don't pick anything up. I have used one of those grooming brushes for rabbits, a handle with a square brush area with lots of hooked metal teeth but it's quite rough. I have also tried dampening my hand with luke warm water and getting it off this way.

What is the best grooming brush/comb/thingy to use for fine haired buns?

My vet says that normally a bunny would groom themselves with their teeth and tongue and not so much fur would be ingested but a bun without incisors groom themselves with their tongue and a lot more hair is ingested.

It is strange that it is so stressful for a bunny. I wonder why this is. It is normal for a bunny to be quieter during the moulting period then? Have you experienced this with your bunnies?

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Squidgy's moulting at the moment and he's fine. He does have hairy poos sometimes, but not very often.
When he had his teeth, I used tohave to clean the of fur quite often, as they often had fur wrapped round them.
I tend to 'pluck' him if he's moulting heavily, or use the comb.

Well Lexie is the worst and I have to pluck her too. She is a 'clumpy' moulter with a very thick coat and her fur is very static, it sticks to everything.

I do find my rabbits often seem 'down in the dumps' when moulting, I think I did a thread on it a looong time ago.

Donna, I brush them everyday during a moult and I use a slicker brush except on long hared breeds.

I also agree with Amy, a healthy rabbit with good gut motlity should be able to pass hair without any problems, they were made that way. If there was no fur coming out the 'other end' I would probably be more worried wondering where it had got to.

Back