• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor Ebonie :(

Jindivik

New Kit
i always feel guilty registering on new forums ive never been on before in the past so sorry for only coming here now :)

anyway, my girlfriends bunny got poorly on thursday, her poops were strung together with fur and she didn't seem herself.

got her to the vets friday morning and she got prescribed recovery (??) foor to be fed with a syringe, an antibiotic injection and some antibiotics to be given with syring when she got home.

she's an indoor bunny and was hopping around fine on the friday night, couldn't leave her salt lick alone, munched a few carrot sticks and seemed herself.

today she's been pretty awful, trying to hide away from the world, we phoned the emergncy vet and took her down there, turns out she has GI Stasis, girlfriend is absolutely heartbroken, she's managed to get to sleep now though.

bunny is staying in the vets for a few days while they try get her feeling better, putting her on fluids, taking x-rays and tummy massages.

i know theres no definate answers but with the right treatment and care does she have much chance?

i've had a good old read, and while i am very sorry about all your poorly rabbits, it's given me a little more hope, reading stories about rabbits having a few bouts a WEEK, and still pulling through.

just hope Ebs is strong enough to get through it :(...even if she does hate me :) i get bitten for no reason while my girlfriend gets all the licks and cuddles

thanks for your time and any replies, i'll let you know how she gets on

Hi there,

I only just joined tonight too but I've had years of looking after bunnies and one of my wee boys has got the stasis right now. Most of my rabbits have suffered it at one point. One has even died but the rest pulled through. A lot depends on breed (lop/straight ears) weight and age. Even sex can play a part. Diet is also important.
I'll be honest with you though, as a student vet nurse, I've seen many bunnnies die in practice after simple procedures such as tooth filing and de matting. However it sounds like Ebonie ( one of my girls is called Ebonnie :)) is getting all the care available. If she is fairly young and healthy and not too plump, I'd say she has a very good chance. Stay strong and don't give up on her. Bunnies can surprise us all at the best of times. I wish you all the luck in the world. Let us know how she gets on too.

yeah i'm sure we've done the best for her, got the vets bill to prove it! will just have our fingers crossed for the next couple of days

she's a well looked after rabbit, she always gets plenty of exercise, not sure on her breed, and she's only about 8 months old...would be a shame to lose her so young, but like you said, these things happen.....

I've never had a problem with fur in our rabbit poops, but apparently pineapple juice breaks down fur that's been eaten quite well. Something to try?

8 months is quite young, most of the rabbits I've seen it in were at least a year and half. Excericse is good, it sounds like you have being all the right things. We still have a lot to learn about rabbits regarding stasis, VHD and other things. I agree about the pineapple juice too, it usually does the trick.

Bad news i'm afraid

just been onto the vets and they lost her during the night, apparently her tummy was too full and there was nothing they could do :(

thanks for your concern people, i hope anyone else going through this makes it better out of the other side :cry::cry:

Oh no, that's terrible. :cry: At least now she is no longer in pain. I know its a bit soon but don't let this put you off rescuing toher rabbits. There are so many in need of a good home and caring owners like yourself. Remember that you did your best and that she was happy.

Back