• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunnies and fleas

Teal'c

Alpha Buck
We just adopted (brought home today) a dog only to find she has fleas. She was just given Frontline yesterday or today and the other dogs are getting their Frontline tonight.

Are the fleas going to just jump off the dog onto Teal'c and Teyla? Or will the Frontline kill the fleas?

Do I need to take any more precautions to keep by buns flea-free?

Thanks a bunch.

Frontline is a known rabbit killer. Never give a rabbit Frontline. Take her to the vet right away. What dosage did you give her? Hopefully only a fraction of what you gave the dogs because of her smaller size.

If you Google Frontline and rabbits, you will see that it is very dangerous.

No, I didn't give it to the bunnies. I gave it to the dogs but I need to know if I should worry about the bunnies getting the fleas that don't want the dogs anymore.

since you've seen fleas i would get some suitable spot on flea stuff for the buns as a precaution because the pooch must have had quite a few for them to be noticed and some will survive for a while even after frontline.

Phew! I thought you meant that she had already been dosed with Frontline.

Advantage is the only flea treatment I know that is safe for use on rabbits. Our buns had fleas over the Christmas period. Make sure you get the correct dosage for the weight/size of your bun and rabbits need to be treated once per week until fleas are gone. We found after 2 treatments of Advantage (2 weeks) our rabbits were flea free.

Also, vacuuming sucks up most fleas and eggs so if you do that daily (or almost daily for 2 weeks), it should fix the problem without the need for toxic flea chemical treatments.

beaphar fly free or spot-on is supposed to kill fleas but i've luckily never needed to try it out! You can get it on ebay.

:shock: I guess it's a good thing the buns have already gotten me into the habit of vacuuming every day!

Thanks guys!

Back