• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

watery eyes

can anyone offer any advice
I noticed my my 12 week old baby rex has weepy eyes this morning, they do not look red.
has up until now been fine
eating and drinking fine
what should I do? does he need to see a vet?

hello by the way:wave:

Last edited:
Hi there and welcome :wave:

Yes, i'd definitely get your baby bun to the vets. Weepy eyes could be a sign of many things including teeth problems or an infection, or could simply be an allergy - but still needs checking out to be on the safe side.

Do let us know how you get on :D

Make sure your vets check his teeth over but they will probably start by prescribing antibiotic eyedrops incase of infection/conjunctivitis. These will either be Tiacil or Fucithalmic.

Sometimes these are used in conjunction with oral antibiotics such as Baytril.

If this does not solve the problem your vet my suggest flushing the tear ducts to attempt to remove any blockages. This needs to be done with care and under no circumstances should the vet attempt to force removal of a foreign object if it does not give easily. Doing so can exacerbate the problem and cause further inflammation/swelling of the ducts. This damage can be permenant if scarring occurs.

Another couple of issues which can cause runny eyes are overgrown tooth roots applying pressure to the ducts (this requires an X-Ray to diagnose), Entropion (ingrowing eye lashes), ulceration/presence of a foreign body causing damage to the eye surface, Pasteurella, allergy (usually to a dusty food/hay/bedding).

So short answer, yes see a vet.

Welcome to the forum by the way :wave:

hi and thanxs
he has been running around like mad for the past half hour
his right ear seems a little red and his eyes have started to look red
cant get him in at the vet till later, receptionist said 2.30 so am taking him to my friends, she has lots of experience with rabbits, has had them for many many years

will let you all know how he gets on
x

Last edited:
no they dont seem swollen
hes muchin on hay and has been eating this am but have just found some looser than normal dropping while getting him out

well the vet has given him antibiotics
eye cream and some owers to have in his water but didnt seem to concerned
thinks it conjunctivitis

hes not eaten as much today but drank all the water with the antibiotics in and had been out and eaten some more an hour ago
dropping's looking a bit better now also

see how he's doing in the morning
:)

Hope the antibiotics help :D

Is he on probiotics to counteract the oral Baytrils detrimental effect on the good gut bacteria?

Back