• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

UTI and GI trouble

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Crunchie has had GI trouble (unformed poo and muccous) for a couple of weeks, and for the past couple of days has been wet with urine around her back end. Other than that she is fine in herself, lively and eating well. She is drinking loads, but always has done since I got her a year ago.

Any opinions on whether the GI problem and the urinary problem are related?

She has an appointment at the vets tonight, but I have a feeling that they'll prescribe baytril, which will probably make her GI trouble worse :roll: :(

Just as I thought she was prescribed baytril.

Luckily she's the easiest of my buns to give oral medication to because she can't help but eat it! I squirted half of the dose into her mouth and she looked disgusted and started pawing at her mouth, but then came back for the rest! Don't think she's the brightest rabbit in the world :roll: :lol:

Hope Crunchie gets better soon.

I had to syringe feed Tarquin at the weekend and the first time I thought it went very well but I think it was because he was quite weak. The second time he reacted the way I thought - spat it out! It's really hard work giving them anything other than nice things isn't it?

How did Crunchie get on at the Vets ?

Janex

The vet thought she had a UTI as well, hence the baytril. I've got to take her back on Friday for a check up. I'm pretty hopeful that she'll be OK because she's as over-excitable as usual :roll: :D

Don't know if you've seen my thread on lice, but whilst she was on the examination table at the vets I noticed that she has lice. Eeeek! (Jane, if you have any advice on lice treatment it would be mucho appreciated :D )

Back