• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

anyone come across carrot causes GI gut imbalance and thus causes tooth spur

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
so my goofy UK friend Sarah Archer told me she has a friend that the rabbit eats carrot, and thus upset the rabbit GI tract, and from there, the GI tract imbalance causes tooth spur. Is this common? or is it rare?

She then said the bun stop eating carrots, and the problem is solved since then

Carrots don't have the tough long fibres for good gut and dental health in rabbits, and are sweeter than anything a wild rabbit would eat - so yes, if they are anything other than a tiny treat, they will cause health problems as the rabbit won't be eating enough hay / grass. It's a bit like a kid in a sweet shop - they fill up on the goodies but there's no room / inclination for the stuff that's good for them.

I can cut down a lot on the carrots

What about spinach? does spinach has the same problem, in other words, can they eat a good amt. of spinach?

I can cut down a lot on the carrots

What about spinach? does spinach has the same problem, in other words, can they eat a good amt. of spinach?

spinach has different problems, it contains high amounts of oxalates so i would keep portions small

Rabbits woudn't eat carrots or spinach in the wild - both can cause issues if fed in any significant amount. Grass / hay and foraged greens are best. Herbs would be better than spinach. Carrots are not needed at all.

Rabbits woudn't eat carrots or spinach in the wild - both can cause issues if fed in any significant amount. Grass / hay and foraged greens are best. Herbs would be better than spinach. Carrots are not needed at all.

Agreed

The closer to the diet of a wild Rabbit is by far the best option for our Pet Rabbits.

With the feeding of carrots and the connection to molar spurs, carrots don’t cause molar spurs to develop. But if the Rabbit fills up on lots of carrots, pellets etc they won’t eat enough hay to wear the crowns of the molars down. So they grow too long and spurs occur.

the truth is, Fudgie isn't big on carrot. But he is big on spinach. So in the past, I just give him what he wants. I'll cut most from now. My other bun Andi loves the carrot, but not that much on the green. But she loves the hay, so never have any concern about Andi not eating enough hay . Fudgie is the one by comparison, not eating enough hay. But Andi eats so much hay, that no other rabbit comes close, so it's possible that Fudgie did eat enough hay by the standard of an average bun.

Back