• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moulting and weight loss

Radish

Mama Doe
Hi

my nethie Maisie is seriously moulting at the moment and despite eating heartily she is losing a bit of weight.

is this normal during a moult or could there be something wrong?

she is fed hay fresh veg and excel dwarf pellets and seems healthy,lungs sound good as does her heart and she was wormed three weeks ago.

Hi

my nethie Maisie is seriously moulting at the moment and despite eating heartily she is losing a bit of weight.

is this normal during a moult or could there be something wrong?

she is fed hay fresh veg and excel dwarf pellets and seems healthy,lungs sound good as does her heart and she was wormed three weeks ago.

It's winter and rabbits do moult, i'm concerned about the weight loss thing, because rabbits ought to be fat during this season, take her to a vet if that helps :)

hi thanks.

i don't think she needs the vet just yet, probably needs her pellets upped a bit but i was curious as to whether there is weight loss during moulting time.

I've never noticed a weight loss when mine moult. An unexplained wieght loss should be investigated. Has she had a course of Panacur?

I've never noticed a weight loss when mine moult. An unexplained wieght loss should be investigated. Has she had a course of Panacur?

yes she was wormed three weeks ago with proper dosage over nine consecutive days as per instructions. she is lively and happy and i'm just wondering if i'm perhaps not feeding enough pellets to keep her weight up as she only has them every second or third day and just has hay all the time and veg twice a day?

ok so now i'm embarrassed:oops::oops::oops: i just went back upstairs and re-weighed her to double check how much she has lost and she has gained twelve grams since earlier so i think she may have had a foot out of the scales before:oops::oops::oops::lol::lol:

i can't beleive i'm an adult and i panicked that much over my little bunny....i think someone should take me outside and slap me:lol::oops:

sorry to have wasted your time:oops::oops:

:D That wasn't a waste of time at all! Worrying about buns is a constant pastime here!! I've been in a state of panic almost all this week:lol::lol:

It can look like they have lost weight when they moult. I think the fur pads them out a bit more. My giant especially is looking lovely and streamlined at the mo but he hasn't lost any muscle tone at all. :D

Back