• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tomatoes?

Koibito

Young Bun
I have read several places that tomatoes were ok for rabbits (w/o the green leaves), but it didn't know...

1- should they be peeled?
2- is it ok if they are cold, or do they need to be room temp?
3- also... do seeds need to be removed?

Last edited:
Tomatoes good in small quantities and give lots of potassium and antioxidents.
They are high in sugar so only occasional treats.
No need to peel.
Seeds ok for cherrys but you might want to take out big beefsteak ones.
Veg should really be room temp when given anyway.

My Ant just LOVES :love: tomatoes!! They have to be his favourite thing in the world! But being a white bunny means that he looks rather messy afterwards!! :lol:

thanks for the advice! Tried giving my Sweetheart a small piece, but she sniffed it once and then ignored it! I was hoping she'd like them. Ah well...:rolleyes:

Hello, one of my rabbits turns his nose up at the large tomatoes but loves the cherry tomatoes, maybe you could try the other variety to what you tried already?

I probably will try that. I'm on a mission to find her favorite treat- but so far, it's still plain old lettuce. ;)

Awww. My Jack's favourite treat is Parsley and Jessica's favourite is Spinach, but for both of them their all time favourite is choc covered raisins (the bunny safe kind you get at Pets at Home). I swear they'd eat it all day every day if they were given half a chance so it's restricted to Sunday evenings only.....I swear they know when it's Sunday, Jack follows me about everywhere until I relent :lol:

After Abi's (Woodlouse) recommendation I gave some to mine.... word of warning... cream carpet + baby plum tomatoes = mess !!! :lol::lol:

Aww! I need to find some of those choc. raisins!

I can imagine tomotoes could make quite a mess!! :lol:

Hopefully I'll find some treat that will suit her tastes... so far she's rejected tomatoes, apples, and cantaloupe. She tolerates parsley and spinach, but isn't crazy about them. I think she just might be a picky eater! :D

After Abi's (Woodlouse) recommendation I gave some to mine.... word of warning... cream carpet + baby plum tomatoes = mess !!! :lol::lol:

So I guess I'm now partly responsible for the mess on the rug?! Bet they enjoyed the tomatoes tho!! :lol: x

Back