• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

This is an emergency, please can someone help

Ok, i'm very upset as i type this so bear with me. I've just been outside to do my morning food run and I've just found my Bugs collapsed in a puddle of his own urine.He's seems very flat and will move if pushed.I took his greens out as usual but won't touch them, nor his usual rabbit mix.Normally when i go out he's all over me, jumping up like a dog and wanting cuddles.This is so unlike him.:cry:
Ive been wracking my head as to what it could be, i haven't changed thier mix, they been on the same food from day dot.The only thing that was changed was this time i found a farm shop which sold bales of hay as my normal supplier had stopped doing horse sized bales.The hay looked and smelt fine, and Violet seems to have no problem with it, neither have my guinea pigs.The veg i've given them is the normal amount, no i can rule out bloat.I checked his tummy and it's not bloated nor gassy feeling, it feel flat if anything, although his bowl was empty and his tray had the usual amount of poo and wee in it. |I just don't understand how he could go so flat in less than 24 hours.I'm so scared i'm going to loose him, he means the world to me and the kids, he's more like a dog than a rabbit.Has anyone got any ideas as to why this might have happened and what i can do to help him.
I've rang the vet and they won't see him unless i have cash, which, i haven't got until tomorrow morning.What can i do meantime for him?

he hasn't touched his hay either and he eats a ton of that.

He really needs to see a vet immediately.Can you not borrow the cash or pay with a credit card?
Hope he is ok,sending lots of vibes.

Since that is the condition he is in, he will die by tomorrow. You have to make payment arrangement w/ your vet or find another vet.

His condition doesn't has to be related to something he ate, it could be something totally unrelated.

The reason he changes so much in 24 hr. is the nature of rabbit -- they go down very fast

Use your credit card, or line of credit or have someone that has money to lend you and have him / her meet you at the vet clinic. There is no time to waste.

Rabbit doesn't show that type of health sign unless their health condition is seriously bad.

i know he needs a vet there is not one vet in peterborough who will see him and then theres getting him there also because i don't drive.I don't own a credit card either which is why i'm asking for help. I've made call on call this morning asking for help from friends and relatives and all i get is it's just a rabbit stop bein so stupid. I'm at my wits end. i will ring the rspca and see what they say but i've found them to be usleless most of the time as i've reported cases od neglect and they've been to bloody busy to check these cases out and the animal has died meantime...But i will ring them and see what can be done..meantime what can i do for him?He's normally been fit and healthy which is why i'm so puzzled.

Get a heating pad and put him on top of it. I assume he is indoor by now?

Can you get your parents to fund transfer some money to to the vet's clinic?

Are you on benefits? If so the pdsa may be able to help?

There are lots of things it could be and there isn't much you can do without proper medication. Bring him in the warm and offer him fluids - will he drink from a bowl (you can add a splash of apple juice to tempt him). If you've got a syringe you can syringe a bit of water.

Tam

In the meantime wrap him up warm, if it was me id bring him inside somewhere clean and dry. The only person that can really save him is a vet im afraid, there is nothing else you can do yourself but keep him warm and dry. There is obviously something very wrong. Has he been regulary vaccinated? The rspca should help, kick up a fuss and explain your situation, thats there job or maybe find a local animal rescue centre they may be able to advice you better

your bun realy does need a vet ...but if there is no way you can get him there then bring him in and warm him up . (not too warm though )

do you have a tin of tomatoes ?
try syringing him some tomato juice into his mouth ...it could be floppy rabbit syndrome which can be caused by a deficiancy in certain vitamins . Sweetpea once went like this during the night and we brought her around by doing this .

your bun realy does need a vet ...but if there is no way you can get him there then bring him in and warm him up . (not too warm though )

do you have a tin of tomatoes ?
try syringing him some tomato juice into his mouth ...it could be floppy rabbit syndrome which can be caused by a deficiancy in certain vitamins . Sweetpea once went like this during the night and we brought her around by doing this .

FRS can also be caused by Vitamin E and Selenium deficiency as well as the traditionally thought Potassium deficiency.

Does he have any movement in his limbs at all? He may need syringing luke warm fluids.

ok
he is goin to the vet in the next 15 minutes.i have rung around and got a lift...my vet is going to admit him.he can move just doesn't want to.Please pray he's going to be ok i'm so upset, he's less than a year old.He's fed on dodson and horrell rabbit royale, farm hay, kale, cabbage, carrots, spinach, banana,broccolli, apple and spring greens, obviiously not all of those at once..i was hoping the variety of food he has would be fine as his sister is fine on this...anyway he's off to the vets i just hope he's ok.

he is going to the vet in 15 mins.i'm certain i have covered all his diet properly, he has a wide variation of green food and fruit, hopefully the vet will know more

i do have normally but xmas has just been and gone and 2 of my children have birthdays on new years eve n 8th of jan..he's normally fit and well so i don't understand why this has happened...:cry::cry:

Back