• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What else can it be??

Miloe's_Mum

Alpha Buck
Poor Fae is still sneezing, she's back at the vets tomorrow but they have ruled out 'snuffles' as she has very little discharge from her nose :( and none from her eyes either and she is eating and pooping fine :?

Her sneezing though is atrocious sometimes and i feel so guilty that i cant do anything to stop it for her!

Whats the next option.....? is there a way of 'flushing' out her nose or something...?

2 of mine have snuffles (pasturella) diagnosed with nasal swab (2 actually cause the first was negative!!!) neither have much nose discharge and no eye discharge! Mine also have no change in their eating, pooping or general behaviou! Both go binkying around the garden!!!

2 of mine have snuffles (pasturella) diagnosed with nasal swab (2 actually cause the first was negative!!!) neither have much nose discharge and no eye discharge!

I was talking to my vet last night & she confirmed that the nasal swabs arent actually reliable - apparently most rabbits would have the pastuerella bacteria picked up. All very complicated stuff isnt it :rolleyes:

I would say things to look at are :

1- Alergy to something in her environment- House Rabbits are particularly effected by things like air freshners, polishes, central heating (which dries out the atmosphere and as Rabbits are obligate nose breathers the dry atmosphere does them no favours)

2- Dental problems (overgrown tooth roots)

3- Foreign body (hay/dried grass strand) stuck up the nose

4-Treponamatosis (Rabbit Syphillis)

5- Nasal Polyps

Janex

I have the same problem with little Ellie, she can go all day without sneezing and then sit and do about 20 sneezes all in one go, I was wondering if she is allergic to the hay?

Thanks everyone, we have removed all smelly candles / air freshners and plug-ins from the house, and they are both on the hay they've always had?

We have turned the central heating down in the kitchen and hallway where they live but its really strange as Fae seems to sneeze less once the heating is on? :? :?

Jane - i will take the list of yours to the vets tomorrow and see what they say, thank you for your help again :D

Aaaaaw poor Fae, my first thought was an allergy, so I am really hoping the vet can come up with something for her. Special bunny nose rubs to her from our gang here.

I would say things to look at are :

1- Alergy to something in her environment- House Rabbits are particularly effected by things like air freshners, polishes, central heating (which dries out the atmosphere and as Rabbits are obligate nose breathers the dry atmosphere does them no favours)

2- Dental problems (overgrown tooth roots)

3- Foreign body (hay/dried grass strand) stuck up the nose

4-Treponamatosis (Rabbit Syphillis)

5- Nasal Polyps

Janex

So what do the vets do for each of these then?

So what do the vets do for each of these then?
Allergies:

Try to identify allergen and remove it

Dental Problems :

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/dental_disease.htm

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/dental.html

http://www.mybunny.org/info/dental_problems.htm

Foreign Body stuck in Nasal Passages:

Diagnosed by endoscopic examination under GA. Removal of FB and post surgical treatment with anti-inflammatories/antbiotics

Treponamatosis:

Diagnosed by Dark Field Microscopy or Silver Stains identify the organism responsible (Treponema Cuniculi)
Treatment is weekly Penicillin Injections for 3 weeks or a *safer* option (less risk of antibiotic induced enteritis) is a long acting Oxytracycline Injection every 3 days

Nasal Polyps:

Diagnosed endoscopicaly under GA. Surgical removal

Janex :)

Back