• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit now partially sighted....

Hazel at RabTowers

Warren Scout
Just before Christmas I went to collect a beautiful black mini rex rabbit from a rescue.

I wanted to bond her with my other three and posted a thread here asking for advice, which I got - thanks all.

Unfortunately the bonding didn't really work out, but then I had to stop it as the vet thought the new girl might have the snuffles and told me to isolate her whilst she was treated.

The baytril did not cure her noisy breathing and the vet has now stopped it saying it might just be down to her being overweight - (we are working on this with diet and Excel Lite.)

The problem now is that I am concerned she has very poor vision and may be blind. The vet checked again yesterday and says she thinks she has cataracts and that nothing can really be done.

I think with hindsight this could be one reason why we struggled to bond her, she seemed so nervous, which I put down to her being new etc etc. I am thinking that if she can't see them coming up to her when she suddenly smells or feels thier touch, she is frightened, panics and that reaction comes across to them as aggression - she is NEVER in the least aggressive with us.

i am also worried that she is actually a LOT older than i was lead to believe:?

I am committed to keeping her now of course, but I am sad at her quality of life if she can't see and if she can not be bonded. We really cannot take any more rabbits to bond her into a pair. Poor Ruby - this isn't waht I wanted for her:cry::cry:

Rabbits actually cope really well with loss of sight. Lucifer has a cataract in one eye and apart from being closer to the floor when she grooms her head & ears, and taking a little longer to jump up or down things you'd never tell.

I remember asking in a LiveJournal community when I found out she had impaired vision & someone responded saying they had a blind bunny and it manages fine; it uses it's hearing, sense of smell & whiskers to get around.

Has Ruby been wormed with Panacur?

Cataracts can be caused by a variety of things other than just old age and one of these is EC. If your vet has any reason AT ALL to suspect the cataracts could be EC related Ruby and your other rabbits all need to be wormed as it is contagious.

As far as living with cataracts goes rabbits seem to respond well to impaired vision as, to be honest, their vision is not that good naturally. It is harder to bond them because they are nervous and jumpy but is not impossible.

They key points are to speak softly when approaching them and approach them from the side as opposed to head on (they cannot judge movement/distance well from this angle) and not to move about quickly.

Keeping objects in the same place helps them find their way about and be careful adding new objects which they may bump into or items, such as ramps, that they may fall off.

Has your vet run sight 'tests' to judge how impaired her vision is?

Last edited:
Hiya,

It might be an idea to test/treat her for EC as that can cause cataracts.

Rabbits eye sight is good for long distance movement detection but useless for depth perception and close up things anyway. They rely a lot of smell, hearing and whiskers so a blind rabbit can cope well not being able to see. You're correct though it may well have impacted on the bonding. I wouldn't say that makes her totally unbondable though it maybe she just needs a slower approach, perhaps starting with being next to them in the cages so she can get used to the smell then perhaps you holding them together on your knee etc. Introducing to one at a time might help too.

Tamsin

I've got 2 single bunnies living next door to each other, and they're very contented just to have bunny company nearby, so don't worry :) Once she has a routine she can predict, she'll relax and seem a lot happier - it must be so scary in a new place with new people when you can't see :( One of my singletons is blind in one eye, so I always try to approach her on her seeing side, and make a bit of noise banging my feet and talking, so she's not startled when I suddenly appear next to her :)

How would you sight-test a bunny?

A variety of stimuli tests over a variety of distances and angles to judge reflex reactions, responses and response times.

I have had a few rabbis sight tested and also some hearing tested. Its fascinating to watch.

Thanks for your replies.

Ruby hasn't been wormed with panacur yet (but my others all have) the vet wanted to treat the snuffles and the obesity first but I am taking her back in two weeks for vaccinations etc so I will mention the worming then.

in the meantime I am not rushing the bonding, we are going to make a mesh barrier inthe garden so she can see the others but not get to them, this is what has been recommended for as long as it takes. At the moment we are having to let them out for a play in completely separate areas where they can't even see one another and this isn't ideal.

Now I think she has a sight problem I am mindful how I talk to her and touch her as I found she was very jumpy if you stroked her nose/face - now it all makes sense.

She is so placid and pleasant though - no wonder no one wanted to adopt her at the rescue - although i do think the rescues should be a little more open about issues a rabbit may have - its only fair, some adopters may not be prepared to see an animal through the treatments/take on an animal with disabilities. Not that I would have ever taken her back anyway - but this has made me even more determined to do the best I can for the poor little black baby.:(:(

Has Ruby been wormed with Panacur?

Cataracts can be caused by a variety of things other than just old age and one of these is EC. If your vet has any reason AT ALL to suspect the cataracts could be EC related Ruby and your other rabbits all need to be wormed as it is contagious.

As far as living with cataracts goes rabbits seem to respond well to impaired vision as, to be honest, their vision is not that good naturally. It is harder to bond them because they are nervous and jumpy but is not impossible.

They key points are to speak softly when approaching them and approach them from the side as opposed to head on (they cannot judge movement/distance well from this angle) and not to move about quickly.

Keeping objects in the same place helps them find their way about and be careful adding new objects which they may bump into or items, such as ramps, that they may fall off.

Has your vet run sight 'tests' to judge how impaired her vision is?

No she dropped a piece of cotton wool on the floor infront of her to see if she noticed it! She then looked in her eyes with a light and said she had cataracts.

Thanks for your replies.

Ruby hasn't been wormed with panacur yet (but my others all have) the vet wanted to treat the snuffles and the obesity first but I am taking her back in two weeks for vaccinations etc so I will mention the worming then.
.:(:(

Your others will need to be re-wormed too.

On her adoption papers did it state when she was last taken to the vets for a check-up? That may give an indication as to how long the cataracts have been present.

Access to her medical records from the rescues vet may also be useful for your vets diagnosis.

A variety of stimuli tests over a variety of distances and angles to judge reflex reactions, responses and response times.

I have had a few rabbis sight tested and also some hearing tested. Its fascinating to watch.

I had the impression my vet was a rabbit expert - Kay from Bunny Hops uses her - but as I say all she did was drop the cotton wool on the floor and then shine the light in the eyes.

Sooz,

The other day I sent an "update" e mail to the rescue and at the end I asked for some more details of Ruby's history as I was having a few issues with her, I explained it very nicely and that I only wanted to know so i could look after her better - but she has not replied. All i now is that before she went to the rescue she was at the RSPCA in Manchester - but thats all I have.

shine the light in the eyes.

That in itself would tell a Vet a lot about the health of Buns Retina ( back of eye) and Lens. Your Vet obviously saw Cataracts which will impede vision so any other 'sight tests' wont serve much purpose re treatment options. Although a course of Panacur would be a good idea.
EC is not the only cause of Cataracts in Rabbits, the Shorpe Fibroma Virus can also effect the lens. Also, sight problems in Rexes that have been intensively inbred can occur as can age related cataracts

Janex

Jane,

When I said she was a rex that is what I was told by the rescue (I had made no secret of my desire for a rex and the fact I wouldn't go to a breeder for one) but it seems now that she is only part rex!!! The vet took one look and said she has rex fur and head shape but she is obviously a dutch cross. How disappointed I was:lol::lol::lol:

But even though she is a complete disaster health-wise and only half rex I don't care - I love her now and thats that!!!!!

I had the impression my vet was a rabbit expert - Kay from Bunny Hops uses her - but as I say all she did was drop the cotton wool on the floor and then shine the light in the eyes.

Anita uses objects with reflective and non-reflective properties, static and in transit and from different angles and distances from the rabbit.

She also see's how close she can get to the rabbits eye without a reaction (difficult as you need to negotiate the whiskers which will tip the rabbit off as to your presence).

It wont help with treatment in anyway as there is nothing that can feasibly be done to combat cataracts but it can help with identifying ways to make the rabbit more comfortable if you know what particular areas they struggle with.

You can also tell if they are loosing vision by repeating the tests over time, though examination woth an opthalmoscope would tell the vets this too.

Hi,just wondered if this little bun scans as in moving her head from side to side as in trying too focus as mt two rews are poor sighted and do this from time to time,rick

Hi,just wondered if this little bun scans as in moving her head from side to side as in trying too focus as mt two rews are poor sighted and do this from time to time,rick

Never seen her do this - but will look out for it.

Also she is not a "little Bun" ......I wish!!! She weighs 3.5 kg and is so big its hard to pick her up. Besides a fierce stamp though she has no aggression.

Back