• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you feed ss recovery?

riftzone

Young Bun
My rabbit Merlin was not pooing much and is a bit quieter than usual so I took him to the vet today, he was given baytril as the vet thinks he has respirety infection and metoclopramide to help get this tummy going again has he had a emptyish tummy.

Merlin was a monster at the vets, so still has lots of energy and spirit, but still no poos and he's not eating hay just some supra rabbit but had to be persuaded. I was given some ss recovery to give him which he's turned his noise up at, so next step is try and syring feed him SS recovery, any one got any idea's on how to make it as stress free for all concerned.

thanks

Rachel

Was doing this myself last night!!

Wrap bunny in a towel so that all of his legs are trapped in and only his head is sticking out. Then ideally get a second person to give the SS Recovery - putting the syringe into the side of bunny's mouth and squirting it towards the other cheek, rather than down back of throat.

Hope that helps ... but it's never an easy process!!

Im afraid there is not really a stress free way to force feed a bunny.

Get your SSR made up in a glass, nice and watery. Cut the end of your syringe so the lumps dont get stuck in it.

Wrap the rabbit up tightly in a towel and sit on the floor. Place him on his back so his head is raised by your knee's.

Fill the syringe and insert the tip into the side of his mouth int the gap between his incisors and molars.

Slowly syringe the feed into his mouth allowing him time to swallow each bit. Keep his head raised so as not to aspirate him.

Aim to get 10-15mls down him every couple of hours but as a general rule the more the better.

I can second the making it watery suggestion!

I sometimes syringe feed my lot, when they're poorly, on the floor. I sit them in front of me, support their sides with my knees and then put the syringe in the side of their mouth. This works quite well if they struggle a lto when wrapped in a towel.

I tried and got him to take some, he seems to be better and is pooing again...yepeee, he's also eaten some more so I've put him to bed in his hutch out-side with his snuggle safe.

I'm not allowed to keep him in side overnight else I'd keep an eye on him through the night.

Yay! Poo! That's always a good sign. Hope he continues to get better.

Good News - Merlin is back to normal

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice and help, he wasn't keen on the sylring feeding but I got some in to him.

He's back to normal, chasing my cat and full of life, so is in to everything again and is very happy to have found the container he's food is kept in....

Rachel

How do I feed it - not very well, have partially re-decorated the hall:lol: The syringe was slightly blocked and my daughter tried to squirt it back into the bowl and it went up the wall:shock: I have been picking bits off me all night:shock:
Twinkle was secure in the towel, but two blondes were in charge of the syringe:rolleyes:

How do I feed it - not very well, have partially re-decorated the hall:lol: The syringe was slightly blocked and my daughter tried to squirt it back into the bowl and it went up the wall:shock: I have been picking bits off me all night:shock:
Twinkle was secure in the towel, but two blondes were in charge of the syringe:rolleyes:

Did you cut the end off the syringe?

Did you cut the end off the syringe?

I'm blonde:oops:

After reading this thread - I know now:oops: I will be picking bits off me all day tomorrow:oops: I didn't use the syringe they gave me - I had one from my vets after she was speyed and we didn't use it. It was okay at first, but it started to get thicker - blonde-blonde.:oops:
Will know for future reference.:lol:

Last edited:
:lol::lol::lol:

Its gross isn't it?!

I make my own and thats just as bad, infact its even lumpier than the SR.

Hubby only just painted wall a few weeks ago, looks speckled now - still Twinkle looking better - priceless (will rub paintwork down tomorrow before he gets home):lol:

Im afraid there is not really a stress free way to force feed a bunny.

Get your SSR made up in a glass, nice and watery. Cut the end of your syringe so the lumps dont get stuck in it.

Wrap the rabbit up tightly in a towel and sit on the floor. Place him on his back so his head is raised by your knee's.

Fill the syringe and insert the tip into the side of his mouth int the gap between his incisors and molars.

Slowly syringe the feed into his mouth allowing him time to swallow each bit. Keep his head raised so as not to aspirate him.

Aim to get 10-15mls down him every couple of hours but as a general rule the more the better.

What if you maybe on your own, can't pick your rabbit up as she runs a mile and you cannot place it on a towel in order to wrap it up and only way can get a towel on the bun is to trap on floor under a towel ! How can you securely and safely wrap a bun up with only 2 hands and 2 knees and thighs just curious for future reference as my o/h terminally ill and there will come a day I will have to deal with this on my own!

What if you maybe on your own, can't pick your rabbit up as she runs a mile and you cannot place it on a towel in order to wrap it up and only way can get a towel on the bun is to trap on floor under a towel ! How can you securely and safely wrap a bun up with only 2 hands and 2 knees and thighs just curious for future reference as my o/h terminally ill and there will come a day I will have to deal with this on my own!

That is how I do it on my own :shock: I never get any help from Phil even if he is home unless its an emergency.

I even shave bums using this technique (only rabbit is other way up).

That is how I do it on my own :shock: I never get any help from Phil even if he is home unless its an emergency.

I even shave bums using this technique (only rabbit is other way up).

Will have to try if she needs anything orally again to see if possible and not too stressfull for her! shes a little terror though and knows when anything like that coming! She is mellowing a bit but not that much!

Will have to try if she needs anything orally again to see if possible and not too stressfull for her! shes a little terror though and knows when anything like that coming! She is mellowing a bit but not that much!

They also know when your not confident with what you are doing. They used to wriggle like the plague when I first started out and some still try their luck now but usually by day 3 of Panacuring etc. they have surrendered and just lie there and glare at me.

Aww Glad hes all better :D Some buns are genuinely un-syringable though...The vets thought we were idiots when we said you actually could not get anything from a syringe into Rhias mouth - until they tried ;) Anything she has to have is usually given by injection now, she drew blood from three people once when we were trying to give her meds :shock: Shes a little b*gger :rolleyes:X

Back