• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - still not eating properly!

Herbert'sMum

Warren Scout
Herbert had a dental the first week in December to burr overgrown back teeth. By all accounts they were very long, however, on the morning of the operation he was perfectly happy/healthy and still eating anything/everything with gusto.

He still has an appetite, however, nearly four weeks on he is eating pellets/soft food but cannot manage anything which requires the use of his molars (not for want of trying). I have taken him back to the vet three times (again this morning) and each time (after examination) have been told that they cannot see any problems which would stop him using these teeth.

No decay/cracks were found during the operation, his jaw is aligned, he has no signs of infection, there is no dribbling, he has no other problems, ie. gas/blockage etc.

Luckily, as he is still eating some food, he has not lost a huge amount of weight but I am obviously worried as there is something not quite right and he is not having an ideal diet. The vet told me it could be an aggravated nerve and he has some low level pain, however, I know that Herbert would ignore this and still eat as he does when his teeth are overgrown. The other 'could be's' were simply a long recovery time or that his molars were burred too short and he is not use to them.

I have been told to keep feeding him the soft diet to keep his weight steady and that if things haven't improved after a month/or they get worse, to take him back for an examination under sedation. Has anyone any ideas as to the cause of the problem as I am at my wits end. Why are most vets so clueless when it comes to rabbit health?

I would suggest skull x-rays to check for any root damage/infection/abnormal growth and pain relief in the interim to see if that encouages him to start eating. Pain is the primary reason for rabbits to develop anorexia.

Has the Vet suggested trying Herbert on a few days of Metacam (anti-inflammatory pain killer) If he eats more once on this that indicates he does have pain in his mouth.

Is his jawline lumpy? That would indicate elongated tooth roots which can eventually cause pain. Abscesses can also occur around the tooth roots. A Dental can be enough to set off a latent tooth root infection.

Does he have runny eyes? Again that is a sign of possible tooth root elongation

Janex

I would suggest skull x-rays to check for any root damage/infection/abnormal growth and pain relief in the interim to see if that encouages him to start eating. Pain is the primary reason for rabbits to develop anorexia.

He actually hasn't got anorexia as such. He still has an appetite but has a problem chewing with the back teeth. I asked the vet if it was possible if he was in pain and he said in his opinion no! Herbert was fine before the operation. Do you think something could have been damaged as a result?

He actually hasn't got anorexia as such. He still has an appetite but has a problem chewing with the back teeth. I asked the vet if it was possible if he was in pain and he said in his opinion no! Herbert was fine before the operation. Do you think something could have been damaged as a result?

Its not unknown for burring and clipping to have adverse effects on the condition of the tooth roots, which is not externally visible.

Has the Vet suggested trying Herbert on a few days of Metacam (anti-inflammatory pain killer) If he eats more once on this that indicates he does have pain in his mouth.

Is his jawline lumpy? That would indicate elongated tooth roots which can eventually cause pain. Abscesses can also occur around the tooth roots. A Dental can be enough to set off a latent tooth root infection.

Does he have runny eyes? Again that is a sign of possible tooth root elongation

Janex

No, no type of painkiller. I asked if it was possible if he was in pain and told probably not! His jawline is smooth and he has no drooling/runny eyes. Is there anything that can be done if it is an absess....I'm not sure about leaving him a month before returning? Wouldn't this have been obvious during his dental?

What is the treatment for this?

It depends on what damage has been done :? The first step would be an X-Ray and then if it was an infection/abcess antibiotics and pain relief. If it was an elongated root problem that had been aggravated anti-inflammatories may have an effect or in severe cases removal of the affected tooth (and opposing tooth). With molars this is not something to undertake lightly.

I think you should have diagnostics run before worrying about the 'what if's' though.

It depends on what damage has been done :? The first step would be an X-Ray and then if it was an infection/abcess antibiotics and pain relief. If it was an elongated root problem that had been aggravated anti-inflammatories may have an effect or in severe cases removal of the affected tooth (and opposing tooth). With molars this is not something to undertake lightly.

I think you should have diagnostics run before worrying about the 'what if's' though.

OK, thanks for the advice. Will take him back tomorrow and ask to see a different vet!

Where abouts are you? Someone may be able to recommend a good rabbit vet in your area you can ask for a referral too?

If you post a thread in rabbit chat asking about rabbit savvy vets in Plymouth Im ure someone can help :D

If you post a thread in rabbit chat asking about rabbit savvy vets in Plymouth Im ure someone can help :D

Thanks for your help....will do. I'm just really worried as I always think the worse and I'm so angry at the thought of him possibly being in pain for nearly four weeks and being fobbed off by two different vets.

Back