PDA

View Full Version : What exactly ARE 'spring greens'?

casu consulto
21-12-2007, 04:51 PM
:oops:
I'm confuzzled. I really am.
My bunnies get about three pieces of veg per day, but I don't want to give them cabbage, broccoli or parsley quite so often. I don't want to worry over gritty pee and worry about calcium intake being too high, or with the broccoli and the cabbage, about gas. I'm a worrier - there's no fixing it. That's not to say I'm not going to give them these things, of course. But at the moment, finding three different pieces daily is a little tricky. I want them to have variety. And quite often people seem to recommend 'spring greens'... which is fine, but I have no idea what these are, and I've yet to see them in bags at the supermarket. Anyone? ._.

Wispa & Zola
21-12-2007, 04:54 PM
its like a big green leaf!

on the packet it says spring greens, sorry its not a great reply but thats as far as my knowledge goes!!!!

Wispa & Zola
21-12-2007, 04:56 PM
just googled it and its usually a type of cabbage but can be from other veg too.

it said

Spring greens are those leafy greens from any Brassica. They might be cabbage, they might be Swedes, or something else. I believe the ones grown as a "main crop" were cabbage.

Jocelyn
21-12-2007, 05:02 PM
They sell them in Tesco and Sainsbury's... and some Somerfields and Co-ops btw.

Wispa & Zola
21-12-2007, 05:04 PM
..........and aldi

casu consulto
21-12-2007, 05:08 PM
But if it is cabbage, then are they still going to be something that should not be fed daily?

bunlover
21-12-2007, 05:13 PM
chelsea has hal a big leaf a day of spring greens my description is comes in a bag a giant cabbbage leaf but a very dark green colour tesco sells it in the veg section. (mind u she is in the garden all day and enjoys foraging the apple tree leaves and the nut tree leaves..and any other plants lol!!!

Wispa & Zola
21-12-2007, 05:16 PM
But if it is cabbage, then are they still going to be something that should not be fed daily?

well i alternate it with romaine lettuce, kale and broccoli. my understanding is the can have these things daily just not all on the same day!

Jocelyn
21-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Spring greens are safe to feed every day - they aren't cabbage :)

Wispa & Zola
21-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Spring greens are safe to feed every day - they aren't cabbage :)

well i didnt make it up, if you google it, it says it on gardening and vegetable information sites

elve
21-12-2007, 05:53 PM
spring greens are cabbage :lol: I think :rolleyes: Anyway - fact is unless your rabbit has a problem with processing calcium, they NEED calcium in their diet - it's good for their teeth and bones :) If they drink plenty, don't have too many pellets (main source of calcium) and bearing in mind that veg is moist (I always wet green anyway when I wash them) - and also bearing in mind they don't eat hardly any - just a medium sized leaf - it won't hurt majority of rabbits to have greens daily.

Doncat5
21-12-2007, 07:00 PM
They are cabbage, the same type of plant produces a 'proper cabbage head' at other time of the years. I feed a small amout daily, I'd rather feed a little amout of 2-3 veg regularly than swapping about.

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/cabbage_spring_page3.asp

Wispa & Zola
21-12-2007, 07:20 PM
They are cabbage, the same type of plant produces a 'proper cabbage head' at other time of the years. I feed a small amout daily, I'd rather feed a little amout of 2-3 veg regularly than swapping about.

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/cabbage_spring_page3.asp

i thought id rather feed like that but read that bunnies can get bored and not get the nutrients they need if they have the same veg day in day out.

susiemae
21-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Im so glad someone posted this as I was too embarrassed to admit I didnt know the difference:oops: :oops: Tesco's sell "Fresh Greens" - is this the same as Spring Greens as my buns like it but Im not sure if they should have it everyday if it is cabbage

Doncat5
21-12-2007, 07:43 PM
i thought id rather feed like that but read that bunnies can get bored and not get the nutrients they need if they have the same veg day in day out.

I used to make a big plate of different veg but as I have a fair few fosters buns pass through, its easier to stick to a regular diet, usually a spring leaf, a slice of carrot and maybe a tiny piece of broccoli. I do occassionally give a little something extra or cut a chunk of fresh grass, but I find that sticking to fewer things regularly, is safer and less likely to upset a new foster buns tum.

casu consulto
21-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Im so glad someone posted this as I was too embarrassed to admit I didnt know the difference:oops: :oops: Tesco's sell "Fresh Greens" - is this the same as Spring Greens as my buns like it but Im not sure if they should have it everyday if it is cabbage

Glad to help. It IS sort of embarassing to ask. :oops: But it's been puzzling me for a while, and everyone else seemed to just know... I felt all left out of some secret. :lol:

abbymarysmokey
21-12-2007, 07:54 PM
I feed half and half spring greens and lettuce (usually Kos or Romaine), so that they don't have too much cabbage type food in one go.

Added to that they have carrot and celery.

I feed the same 4 veg every day, although I do sometimes replace the spring greens with cabbage or kale.

Amy

mrs munkee
21-12-2007, 07:57 PM
i get just 'greens' from sainsbury's. can't imagine why anyone would buy them for themselves as they look even less appetising than cabbage, but hey ho they're cheap :D . there is one point though - i think i may be overfeeding :oops: :oops: :oops: . they get a couple of greens leaves (or handful of kale), couple pieces brocolli and a baby sweetcorn or bit of cucumber twice a day. is this too much?? i have started to hide it around their run to keep them active and so they don't just sit and scoff.:?

abbymarysmokey
21-12-2007, 08:01 PM
i get just 'greens' from sainsbury's. can't imagine why anyone would buy them for themselves as they look even less appetising than cabbage, but hey ho they're cheap :D . there is one point though - i think i may be overfeeding :oops: :oops: :oops: . they get a couple of greens leaves (or handful of kale), couple pieces brocolli and a baby sweetcorn or bit of cucumber twice a day. is this too much?? i have started to hide it around their run to keep them active and so they don't just sit and scoff.:?

Is that per rabbit, or divided between your rabbits? I think 4 large spring green leaves every day, plus other veg, might be a bit much, but it depends on the size of rabbit and how many pellets they have.

casu consulto
21-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Barney loves celery... He used to nibble on a stick of it... But I read somewhere it's stringy and can clog them, so I've been wary of it since? Is celery quite safe? ^^ 'Cos he never suffered any problems when he ate it, but since reading somewhere it could possibly cause problems I've only fed him little cubes of it.

mrs munkee
21-12-2007, 08:04 PM
between the two of them, but they are smallish. they don't get pellets at the recommendation of cheryl (sgp rescue). apparently they have never been fed on pellets.

abbymarysmokey
21-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Barney loves celery... He used to nibble on a stick of it... But I read somewhere it's stringy and can clog them, so I've been wary of it since? Is celery quite safe? ^^ 'Cos he never suffered any problems when he ate it, but since reading somewhere it could possibly cause problems I've only fed him little cubes of it.

I'm sure that is a bunny myth, but I cut mine into small pieces just in case. :lol:

abbymarysmokey
21-12-2007, 08:07 PM
between the two of them, but they are smallish. they don't get pellets at the recommendation of cheryl (sgp rescue). apparently they have never been fed on pellets.

I think you should be fine then :D Although you could perhaps substitute lettuce for some of the greens? (dark lettuce rather than iceberg).

Amy

casu consulto
21-12-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm sure that is a bunny myth, but I cut mine into small pieces just in case. :lol:

Ill just do that then, thanks. :) Barney will be pleased.

mrs munkee
21-12-2007, 08:20 PM
oh phew i was getting ready for an onslaught of telling offs! :rolleyes: :oops: :D

i've avoided any sort of lettuce so far, but if the dark stuffs ok then that's good

btw sorry for hijacking your thread caso consulto :D

abbymarysmokey
21-12-2007, 08:26 PM
i've avoided any sort of lettuce so far, but if the dark stuffs ok then that's good

Some people don't feed lettuce, but I've fed mine lettuce as a staple part of their diet for probs 10 years.

As with any veg tho'..introduce it gradually into the diet, and stop if it gives them runny poops.

Amy

Tamsin
21-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Are you good at eating your five a day? Our rabbits just have the left over from whatever we eat - we deliberately get cauliflower with the outside leaves on, carrots with tops etc.

eg yesterday they have an apple core, carrot peelings and broccoli staulks. The day before I think it was cauliflower leaves, suede, parsnip peelings, one piece of orange (no idea where that came from :lol: ) and carrot peel.

It's good for you and lots of variety for the rabbits too. We buy very little specifically for them but they have a bowl full most days.

Tamsin

Wispa & Zola
21-12-2007, 09:03 PM
may be a silly question but if you overfeed veg can the rabbit get fat??

i usually give (this is just an example it varies)

one leaf of something (spring greens or romaine lettuce)
a stick of something (carrot or celery)
small handful of carrot tops or kale
a medium floret of broccoli or 2 brussel sprouts
1/4 of an apple

Sue&Sooty
21-12-2007, 09:06 PM
That seems a lot but then I guess we all do different .. my 4 share either 4 leaves of greens or some curly kale or a carrot each or some broccolli .. I feed them their veg in the mornings and their pellets at night

abbymarysmokey
21-12-2007, 09:17 PM
may be a silly question but if you overfeed veg can the rabbit get fat??

Yes!

We think of veg as low-fat diet food, but rabbits have evolved in Mediterranean climates to eat poor quality grass and scrub, so our farmed veg is quite nutritious and even fattening in comparison.

Amy

Wispa & Zola
21-12-2007, 09:22 PM
i read that its 2 cups per 2kg of rabbit is that about right?

she is only 6 months, ive been told to leave pellets down all the time until 8 months, is this true

Im so sorry ive hijacked this post!!!

abbymarysmokey
21-12-2007, 09:26 PM
i read that its 2 cups per 2kg of rabbit is that about right?

Sounds about right to me. It's difficult to judge because it often looks like a bigger portion if you cut it into big pieces rather than smaller pieces.

My pairs get a heaped bowl of veg once a day (one of those standard sized earthenware bowls that say 'RABBIT' on the side)

Amy

Wispa & Zola
21-12-2007, 09:28 PM
mines probably about the same then because she has a nearly full bowl (a plastic medium sized dog bowl)

elve
21-12-2007, 09:35 PM
I used to make a big plate of different veg but as I have a fair few fosters buns pass through, its easier to stick to a regular diet, usually a spring leaf, a slice of carrot and maybe a tiny piece of broccoli. I do occassionally give a little something extra or cut a chunk of fresh grass, but I find that sticking to fewer things regularly, is safer and less likely to upset a new foster buns tum.

that's exactly what I give mine every day :D They have never once said 'muuuuum we're bored :( ' - although they do nearly have my arm off :lol:

HS
21-12-2007, 10:11 PM
I stick to the same diet with mine too. SPring greens, sprouts and carrot/ carrot tops. They love their sprouts!

casu consulto
21-12-2007, 10:13 PM
No worries over hijacking! ^^ My question has been answered, and the rest of this info proves useful to me, also.

mullethead
22-12-2007, 12:14 AM
In tesco there called greens and in asda there called spring greens,there a bit like cabbage looking but longer,rick

Sooz
22-12-2007, 01:31 AM
Well just to be difficult I feed as wide a variety as possible. I like to know when they are rehomed there are no veggies they are delicate to or that they have not tried so that I dont get calls from panicking owners whose rabbit has suddenly developed bloat or the squits after eating something its sensitive too.

Obviously if I find a veg they have a reaction to I can then advise and explain why they are not to be fed it.

Oh and I feed spring greens as a staple, most days its SG plus two other veggies.

elve
22-12-2007, 09:04 AM
I'm always so cautious with veg - even if they have a few days when I've run out of brocolli, I'll re-introduce it with a smaller amount, incase their stomach bacteria's got a bit out of it's 'brocolli digesting mode' - I'm probably too cautious by far, but they don't seem to mind at all, and I do have the mantra 'better safe than sorry' regards feeding bunnies - I'd rather bin something I have too much of, than see if the rabbits will eat it.

abbymarysmokey
22-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Strangely enough, brocolli is one veg that I never feed because it's the only veg that has caused problems in a couple of my rabbits...one had terrible gas, runny poops and went off her food.

Doncat5
22-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Strangely enough, brocolli is one veg that I never feed because it's the only veg that has caused problems in a couple of my rabbits...one had terrible gas, runny poops and went off her food.

I've had this problem in the past which is why I only serve a very small bit, and include some stalk, not just the flower/head. Sometimes stalk is all they get if I've eaten all the top but they seem to enjoy it just as much and I have a feeling the stalk is less likely to cause gut problems, or so it seems from all my poo observations!:lol:

kitschkitty
22-12-2007, 12:52 PM

Spring greens taste lovely actually!

I love spring greens, sprout tops and curly kale more than cabbage.
If I have cabbage myself I prefer savoy.

Also spring greens and sprout tops both cook quicker than kale and cabbage (the leaves are a bit thinner and less tough). :D

Sooz
22-12-2007, 01:27 PM
The one veg I have had real problems with is Green Cabbage. I never ever feed it now, too many cases of smelly runnies, ergh!

mrs munkee
22-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Spring greens taste lovely actually!

I love spring greens, sprout tops and curly kale more than cabbage.
If I have cabbage myself I prefer savoy.

Also spring greens and sprout tops both cook quicker than kale and cabbage (the leaves are a bit thinner and less tough). :D

i shall have to try it, but i think i may be divorced if i served a pile of that up to hubby :lol: :lol: :lol: i struggle to get him to eat peas! at least when i buy veg now, i'm buying it for the buns which is easier for me (i have to eat iron rich foods, but hubby detests green veg :roll: )