• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Losing weight??

Rice

Mama Doe
So I noticed yesterday that Alfred may be getting a little thinner... My hubby thinks I'm being paranoid as he can't tell a difference and says he looks fine.

Alfred eats hay all day long but he's not a big fan of pellets or veggies. The only veggies I can get him to consistently eat is carrots... :rolleyes: I've tried parsley, kale, broccoli, cabbage, celery, cilantro etc... he just doesn't like them but he gobbles up carrots. Anyway... could he be getting thinner just eating hay? Or am I being paranoid?

He's only ever really eaten hay since I've had him, which has only been about three weeks. He'll eat a teeny bit of pellets and veg, just not much.

Do you know what he was eating before he came to you? Buns are naturally suspicious of new foods so he may need to be given whatever he was on beforehand and weaned onto your new choice of food.

My vet suggests weighing buns on kitchen scales (I bought a cheap digital pair from Argos especially for this purpose!) twice a week - he says three drops in a row or more than a 5% drop warrants a visit to the vet.

If he will eat porridge oats, try making up a teaspoonful of oats soaked in warm water as porridge oats will help him to put on weight. You do need to be very gradual at any changes in diet though so don't give him much, and also be careful that feeding something like porridge to keep weight on isn't disguising a problem.

As far as I know he was just eating pellets before I got him but I don't know what brand. I've tried a few different kinds but he doesn't seem to like any of them too much. I took him to the vet about a week ago and he checked out fine so hopefully it isn't an underlying problem...

Hiya Rachael

Might also be worth getting your bunnies teeth checked - only mention this as during the past few weeks Cagney has dropped a little weight although she has been nibbleing hay and eating her pellet food and vegetables.

My Vet found on checking her that she does have an elongated tooth - so she is having this sorted for her this morning.

Hope this helps.

Lany X

I find it useful weighing all my buns once a week and keeping a record so that if they doo feel thinner i can look at the records and see what they were last compared to now

Back