• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit encyclopedia

catbar09

Young Bun
Hi everyone just wondered if anyone knows where to get a rabbit encyclopedia from. I want to do some reading up.
Thanks.:rabbit2:

There is this one:

http://www.amazon.ca/Encyclopedia-Pet-Rabbits-David-Robinson/dp/0876669119

.... but I'm not really sure it's an encyclopedia as such :? Also it's slightly dated 1990, I would assume there have been quite a few advances in our understanding of rabbits since then.

Any one got it? Any good?

This one looks good - When Your Rabbit Needs Special Care: Traditional and Alternative Healing Methods
http://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Your-Rabbit-Needs-Special/dp/159580031X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197306841&sr=1-2

This one looks ineresting but a little pricey for the average bunny slave
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rabbits-Husbandry-Diseases-Virginia-Richardson/dp/063205221X/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197307002&sr=1-16

This looks like a nice all rounder - Rabbit (How to Look After Your Pet)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rabbit-How-Look-After-Your/dp/0751353981/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197307213&sr=1-9

And I've just spotted this one too - Rabbit Health in the 21st Century Second Edition:A Guide for Bunny Parents
Rabbit Health in the 21st Century Second Edition:A Guide for Bunny Parents

Re: Rabbitlopaedia - Agree, don't rate it much either.... I found three facts which I believe to be incorrect within the first few pages :?

I find Rabbits for Dummies a very good, well laid out book with a great index (much like an encyclopedia)

Last edited:
Can't remember because I read it so long ago. I think it's written from quite an old fashioned viewpoint, and recommends smallish hutches and wrong food.

Can anybody remember more than me?

Can't remember because I read it so long ago. I think it's written from quite an old fashioned viewpoint, and recommends smallish hutches and wrong food.

That's correct... I found some of the "facts" either completely wrong or not explained properly, such as the accommodation size. People that buy this and use it as a source of information are being slightly mis-lead by the opinions, yet there's no way they would no this... it's a book, it must be right! :?

That said some bits were good, although I found the history and the sections relating to fur making a bit odd for a "pet" book :? and there was a little too much dedicated to showing and breeding for my liking.

We have one and rate it the most out of our other 3 books! we don't pay to much attention to what they say about housing but the rest of it is quite good we thought! Maybe ours is an updated addition only got it year ago!

I do agree with you both there are some points and parts of the book that we consider not right, but some of the other stuff is good. We never use one book for info though if need it use few books and the internet and of course all the people on here, oh and not forgetting the vets!

I do agree with you both there are some points and parts of the book that we consider not right, but some of the other stuff is good. We never use one book for info though if need it use few books and the internet and of course all the people on here, oh and not forgetting the vets!

That's a good thing.... I have several books that I use for reference and I cross check each to see if they say different things :D

But it doesn't help people that don't do that, if someone only bought Rabbitlopaedia I think they would have a skewed view on rabbit care :? Where as other books I find much more correct in the views, even if they are far more simplified, they still seem to give the correct info, just less of it :D

Rabbits for Dummies is brilliant, I recommend it to all our adopters as the ONE book they really must buy. It does, however, only cover very basic illnesses.

My rabbitlopeadia arrived today adn having flicked through it have spotted two mistakes so far :? was also disappointed E. Cuniculi was not covered.

Rabbits for Dummies is brilliant, I recommend it to all our adopters as the ONE book they really must buy. It does, however, only cover very basic illnesses.

My rabbitlopeadia arrived today adn having flicked through it have spotted two mistakes so far :? was also disappointed E. Cuniculi was not covered.

I got that book Rabbits for Dummies, as with all books there are good and bad points but i find more good points with this book, but I always cross reference all books , the internet and here of course.

Is it an up-to-date version Sooz?

Only I think my copy was written nearly 20 years ago, before people actually knew anything about EC.

was also disappointed E. Cuniculi was not covered.

I was disappointed by this too.

I have been thinking of getting Rabbits for Dummies but didn't know how reliable it is but after hearing everyone likes it might ask for it as an xmas pressie from the buns :lol:

Back