• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bringing my buns inside

Custardpowder

Young Bun
MY DH is going to go mad, I have bought cages and they are quite large...!
They arent hutch sized though. :( ( which we had the room or a garage!)
My bunnies seem so miserable outside now, its punding down, the wind howls through my garden and despite tarpaulins etc we just cant keep them dry
One is ill with an eye infection and Ive been worrying endlessly about them.
Thumper( 1 year old boy) is also bored, has been gnawing at his run and flower( the girl) scratched me to bits when I tried to put her back earlier she didnt want to go back in her hutch and leaps out the second you open the door and into whoevers arms are closest!.
I think they will be better inside given the ghastly weather, its really vile here at the mo and I think they are suffering, they certainly arent getting what I consider to be enough attention atm either outside.

Does anyone have any advice for me on bringing them in and making sure they are ok indoors, they arent bonded in case that affects any advice/suggestions and not neutered yet either( thats next on the list after xmas!)
:? Im all confused ( and also gearing up to face my angry DH who will have a fit when he realises we now have to squeeze past them -literally as the cages take up all the space in the hall)

Well, getting them neutered and bonded would definietly be the first thing I would have suggested :D Great that you're planning to do that as the one thing that I have seen make bunnies happier than anything is having someone to live with :D
I would keep the heating lowish to allow them to acclimatise (sp?) to start with. Also be careful that they can't make physical contact through the bars of the cage - they could cause each other damage and there are even stories of rabbits mating through bars, so I wouldn't want to risk that!
Obviously exercise is still important so if you can let them oout daily in a secure area for several hours then I'm sure they would appreciate that :D But of course, make sure you have bunny proofed - wires, plastic, wood and carpet are all rabbit delicacies and you may also find a fair bit of territorial marking - peeing and pooping everywhere! - whilst they settle in.

thanks.
We've put them in seperate rooms, one has gone in my dd's room the other is in the hall as eventually there wasnt room for the 2. hopefully there will be no chance of them mating or anything else!!
DH didnt go mad, he just sighed and set about putting the cages up!:lol: Ive brought them in before he changes his mind and will deal with doing the hutches tomorrow!

possible silly Q here

Thimper is spending alot of time just stretched out or rolling on his back and lying on his side in his new cage

does this mean hes ok and happy in there? We had him out running round for an hour or so earlier and he seemed happier to be back in the cage:?

possible silly Q here

Thimper is spending alot of time just stretched out or rolling on his back and lying on his side in his new cage

does this mean hes ok and happy in there? We had him out running round for an hour or so earlier and he seemed happier to be back in the cage:?

My two both do this. They're an unbondable pair who have their cages in an L shape and they take turns out of them. They have access to the whole of upstairs when I'm at home, but both of them choose to go back to their cage to flop during their time out, just like your bun has done. I think they just like having their own place to go between all the mad rushing about, and seem very happy spending time there.

And even though they're not bonded, they are very happy living side by side and clearly get the company they need from each other, albeit with bars separating them.

I'm sure your two will settle in and be very happy indoors - and so much easier to see to in this horrid weather!

:)

thanks.
We've put them in seperate rooms, one has gone in my dd's room the other is in the hall as eventually there wasnt room for the 2. hopefully there will be no chance of them mating or anything else!!
DH didnt go mad, he just sighed and set about putting the cages up!:lol: Ive brought them in before he changes his mind and will deal with doing the hutches tomorrow!

awwww poor bloke :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh I told him the other day he wont let me have any more children so I have to get my baby cuddling in somehow:D
he's realised this is one he isnt going to win. He wasnt ever allowed pets as a child,his mother asked us about what I would do when the children all got ill from having them indoors and what about the vermin their food would attract ( well DUR, their food is INSIDE a cage- hardly likely to attract vermin!):lol:

Oh I told him the other day he wont let me have any more children so I have to get my baby cuddling in somehow:D
he's realised this is one he isnt going to win. He wasnt ever allowed pets as a child,his mother asked us about what I would do when the children all got ill from having them indoors and what about the vermin their food would attract ( well DUR, their food is INSIDE a cage- hardly likely to attract vermin!):lol:

hehe once inside your fella will deffo not regret it.... ste adores Alvin

Back