• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

weak bunny needs energy

hi all
our little bunny sparky has just come home from the vets today he was in being treated for GI STASIS (BLOAT) which has all cleared thankfully.
our problem now is that he needs an op on his back teeth which are sharp and causing him pain (did not eat hense bloat).
they can't do the tooth op until he has regained the strength he had before but he can't eat to build his strength cause his teeth hurt
we have liquid food to give him but we are not sure how much of a boost this will give.
any ideas of any thing high in energy that we can mush up or that is soft enough for him to chew

thanks
any advice will be greatfully received

Hello :)

Has your Vet prescribed regular pain relief for your Bunny? He wont eat if his mouth is sore :cry:
What liquid feed are you giving and how much/how often?

Janex

how about some fruit? I would have thought something like mashed pineapple or plum would be good. Or you good put some fruit juice in his water. Mine love a little apple juice as an extra special treat sometimes.
But will let others tell you what's advisable as I'm definitely no expert!

never give rabbits fruit or veg they're not used to when they are ill - the last thing they need is an upset tum when they are down, and fruit is very high in sugars which feed bad bacteria. mine never have fruit at all, even when well, although a splash of juice in water is OK :)

best thing to feed him is his regular pellets mushed up with boiling water from the kettle and cooled a bit - if he normally eats a mix you could try picking out the pelleted bits? If you cut the end off a syringe it will be easier to get mush through, but be careful not to choke him - you need to pop the syringe sideways just behind his front teeth, having wrapped him firmly in a towel - often easier if you are kneeling and they are between your legs on the floor.

hope he's OK soon :)

What he needs most is plenty of fiber to keep his GI tract running smoothly. A high fiber pellet, lots of good quality hay and fiberplex/Avi-Pro Plus are the best things you can do for him.

Is the green powder Science Recovery? The Fiberplex is a concentrated probiotic and fiber supplement rather than a syring feed.

i know this all good advice thanks and it seems to be consistant right across the board
its just so hard seeing him like this when only last friday he was humping my leg and running round like a mad thing

Back