• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any views....??

bumble1

Warren Scout
Hi Guys :wave:

Just wondered what peoples views were on rabbit insurance & which company to go for............if there are any to choose from - I can only seem to find petplan.

Any help, thoughts are very much appreciated. :D

Claire x

I suppose it depends how many you have, but from looking at most rabbit insurance plans I wouldn't bother - the things they are most likely to suffer from are usually excluded. I put money into my savings account every month so it's there for my pets if I need it. I also have instant access to a pre approved bank loan if it gets to that point as I have a lot of animals I would like to think I'm prepared for the worst case scenario if they all get ill at once. Touch wood that'll never happen but life's unpredicatable at best!

I suppose it depends how many you have, but from looking at most rabbit insurance plans I wouldn't bother - the things they are most likely to suffer from are usually excluded. I put money into my savings account every month so it's there for my pets if I need it. I also have instant access to a pre approved bank loan if it gets to that point as I have a lot of animals I would like to think I'm prepared for the worst case scenario if they all get ill at once. Touch wood that'll never happen but life's unpredicatable at best!

I do only have one bun - Bumble - but I have 2 cats ( 1 who is 9 & 1 who is 4), my youngest cat has just been really unwell & my bill is currently at £1200 ish.......she is worth every penny but ithas just meant pulling in everything & I thought I would try to be more "prepared" with Bumble as neither cat will now be covered - one due to being too old (Holly) & the other (Missy) because she has had so many different things wrong with her nothing will be covered now!!. :roll: :roll:

xx

I have two giants they are insured by pet plan its £17.00 a month. Very good x x x

My quote for Bumble was £9.21 a month - not sure what I was expecting but I spose I was a little shocked it was this much. But I guess in light of what the expense could be it is nothing..... Just thought it should be started asap whilst he is young.

His ears are huge bless him! I would definately get him insurance- its better ti be safe than sorry x x

i have the same dilemma. I took out petplan for my three which is about £27 a month. But because i was honest enough to say that meb sometimes has weepy eyes they've now excluded anything to do with his eyes from his policy. I'm also a bit worried about other exclusions they might have, and what might happen with a prolonged illness.

Since most bunny illnesses seem to be to do with their eyes or teeth, will these be covered by petplan?

i have the same dilemma. I took out petplan for my three which is about £27 a month. But because i was honest enough to say that meb sometimes has weepy eyes they've now excluded anything to do with his eyes from his policy. I'm also a bit worried about other exclusions they might have, and what might happen with a prolonged illness.

Since most bunny illnesses seem to be to do with their eyes or teeth, will these be covered by petplan?

I did my quote application online & because I didnt progress it straight away a lady from petplan phoned me a few days later to see if eberything was ok.

She explained that yes they were a little more pricey but they covered illnesses for life - meaning that if Bumble did get an illness that was reoccurring I would only pay the excess on the first treatment & then all other related bills for that illness for his life would not require me to pay the excess again.

Not sure what specifically would be discluded though - maybe someone who already has the plan could explain for us.....dilema dilema dilema...........xxx

Back