• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should I be Worried?

Our rabbit, Lola, seems to be sick.

Earlier today I went to give her her daily bowl of veggies but she refused to touch them. This morning she got a good bunch of hay and it would seem she ate most of it without problem (there is very little left in her cage).

But now, she doesn't want to eat anything. I got her to nibble on a tiny piece of pineapple but normally she would be running around a binkying left and right if I even held a piece. Now she is just sitting in the corner looking sad. I haven't seen her drink since I noticed her unusual behavior.

A bit earlier she pooped but the poop was what looked to be somewhat large and misshaped cecal pellets.

If she doesn't seem better by tomorrow morning I am taking her to the vet but I would love it if anyone were to supply a bit of info tonight.

Thanks

It sounds like Lola may have stomach pains, or bloat....is her abdomen extended in anyway? Is it making any odd sounds?

Have you seen her grinding her teeth at all?

She doesn't look/feel bloated but I never really rub her stomach.

And I put my ear towards her and didn't hear any noises.

And she's not grinding her teeth.

I checked her bum and it looks as if she is plugged up. She had some poos just hanging out and I tried to clean it off her by pulling it but it wouldn't come out. And some of the poo seems to be connected by hair. Could it just be a bad hairball?

Also when I hold her to see if it's finally clean she fidgets and I hear her tummy rumble.

Any idea?

Last edited:
If she refuses to eat and doesn't produce any more poop you need to get to the vet asap. In the meantime try and encourage to eat by providing her favourite foods. You can encourage drinking by giving her bowl (if she doesn't already have one) and adding a little apple juice to make it taste yummy.

Tam

Definately get her to a vets if she won't eat or poo, don't wait, as she could be going into stasis, where the gut stops moving. This is very serious if not treated quickly. Hope she will be ok :)

Also try a little pineapple juice in her water - tasty and helps with passing through fur... def get her to teh vets if she doesnt poo soon!!

Is there any fav greens that you havent tried yet? soak them in water too and if shes eating hay then have it on tap for her

You coudl also try holdig her like a baby in your arms with her bum higher than her head and if she'll settle try massaing her tummy in big circles gently... helps with passing wind etc... worked wonders for charlie, tho it can cause her to wee so be prepared :shock:

Hope she feels better soon.

Back