• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Op Advice- UPDATE

nixxy83

Young Bun
Hey guys n girls

Well Smudge has just got back from the vets after being castrated. He seems very sad.

Just sitting in his cage looking at me as if to say THANKS ALOT!!!

What do I give him to eat as he doesnt seem interested, but the vet has said he MUST eat

Any help on what to do would be great

Last edited:
Awww poor Smudge! If he's only come back this evening there's no need to panic yet, he's probably still waking up from anaesthetic. Is he indoors? He needs to be kept warm tonight as the anaesthetic will reduce his ability to keep warm. I would suggest giving him a bowl of water as well as a bottle, poorly buns often prefer to drink from a bowl - and water will help flush everything through. Other than that, I'd just keep him warm and quiet and offer his favourite foods to get him to eat. Hopefully by morning he should be feeling a lot better, but it's fairly normal for them to not want to eat straight away.

Thats great thank you. I will go and put him some water in a dish now.

Just makes you feel horrid for what u have done to them as doesnt want to eat or have a stroke.

Will keep an eye on him, he is in his house downstairs with radiator on, might move him a bit closer to it actually as can get cold where he is .

Make sure he has something warm and soft to lay on. I usually use an old duvet or vetbed, you don't want anything that prickles. Also, I find putting an cover of some sort over their cage helps them to settle, they feel safer.

Charlie took one look at me when I went to pick him up and turned his back to me :cry:

I had made up his cage with a fleecy blanket (comfort and warmth) and had a bowl of water for him (gotta hurt to stretch up to a bottle after the op!) and hay to his side for him when he was ready. Also had all his fav greens like Kale and Parsley. But basically he led down all night and I stroked him for hours to reassure him (he's a mummy's boy), and kept noise to a minimum so no flinching or straining. I think he may have had tiny bit of hay and greens before I went to bed but not much.
He had his op at around 3pm and he didnt wee until the next morning and then poos at around mid afternoon. (its also easier to spot these things whne on a blanket rather than hay).
The next day he was far more lively.

He has also recently had an op and its now day 4 after and only just now is he back to his chirpier self. He has been really quiet for 3 days and the first 2 days was minimal eating, which I had to offer silver service!!
Leave him be for a bit with hay and greens in easy reach. Then if stil no luck later this evenign or tomorrow morning try waving it in his face until he gets fed up and bites it.
More than likely tho you'll gte up tomorrow and all hell has let lose :D hay and food everywhere :lol: He just needs to come round and get the GA out of his system. He'll be just fine :D

If you are concerned tomorrow tho then see your vet. Give him time tho, and wait for your post op check. Less car journeys the better too, unless it comes necessary. You know your bunny best :D

Its also a tip to rinse his greens in water and leave them wet so that he gets extra water from that.

Give him lots of love tonight, he'll thank you for it :D

Last edited:
soft greens are usually seem to be the favourites to begin eating again. Sooty didn't eat hay for a week :roll:

I have a foster bun who was speyed today, she has nibbled on a couple of bits of hay so far and nothing more. She has done one poo ... but no wees :D She is not interested in carrot tops, herbs or greens at the moment. She is snuggled up in the covered litter tray just looking out watching sky news/

Squidgy was very happy to sit on some vet bed with a hot water bottle under it, and sleep. We gave him a bowl of water, and every type of food we could think of. He only wanted grass and dandelion leaves to start with. He didn't poop for what seemed like forever :roll: but was back to normal within a couple of days.
Hope he feels better soon.

My little girl has tucked into some herbs tonight, eaten a few pellets of Excel and a little more hay. No more poops as yet

Took smudge to the vets tonight, as got home and he was just lying there, not eaten any food or done any poos or drunk anything, doesnt want food and just wants to be left alone.

He has had to have an injection and is on the syringe feeding food now, but his wounds look ok.

They think he is still sleepy so got to let him sleep for the night and just try feeding him this food, which so far he has spat out.

So not going well at the moment.

Have put a fleece blanket in his cage with a water botle.

Hope you're little chap perks up soon.
I found it very distressing watching mine recover from their nueters huddled up in little bunny balls.
Dandelion leaves was what did the trick for my boy but he is a greedy guts and was barely conscious before he ate after his op
My little lady was done last week and really worried me, again it was the dandelion leaves that did the trick but I had to bat her on the nose to get her to eat them
Fingers crossed for your little man

Back