• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is A&P as good for his teeth as SS?

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
Just wondering if the A&P pellets are as good for Evo's teeth as the Science Selective ones? I am currently in the process of moving Evo over to A&P as he won't eat the newer batches of SS, even though the manufacturers insist that they are the same.

I know A&P is higher in fibre, but the pellets seem a lot less crunchy and are much smaller than the SS, so are the A&P still doing his teeth any good?

Just wondering if the A&P pellets are as good for Evo's teeth as the Science Selective ones? I am currently in the process of moving Evo over to A&P as he won't eat the newer batches of SS, even though the manufacturers insist that they are the same.

I know A&P is higher in fibre, but the pellets seem a lot less crunchy and are much smaller than the SS, so are the A&P still doing his teeth any good?

TBH I dont think it'll make any difference. The same 'jaw action' is required to eat all Pellet feeds ie mainly 'up and down' Its the side to side 'jaw action' of eating hay/grass that is of most benefit for Dental Health

Janex :)

I wondered this the other day and came to the conclusion that A&P are better because the smaller particals are closer in shape to grass and hay and can be 'ground' by the back teeth in a similar motion to roughage (side to side).

With SS an up and down motion is required to break the pellet down into a small enough piece to be ground between the molars.

I guess that means SS is better for incisor issues though :?

Last edited:
I would agree that it shouldn't matter much. Since they should be only spending a few minutes really each day eating pellets then the effect on the teeth is pretty small - its all about the hay when it comes to teeth!

My vet has advised things such as apple tree branches (untreated) for molars. My bun may have a genetic issue with his molars so i'm hoping this is the answer!!
I've posted a thread on it since I need to find a supplier, and everyone who has replied has said their buns go mad for them!!

BTW pellets are munched in an up-down motion and hay and greens is the best thing for molars - just incase peeps havent pointed it out enough lol
Just to add another food to your choices, mine have excel pellets tho and they cant get enough!!!! Dont think they are far diff to SS either :D

PS mine have 'gnaw stones' from the hay experts for their front teeth health. And actually a compacted alfalfa shape thingy that they love, but so hard it takes ages to chomp on which keeps them happy .. well for abotu a month now!! lol :D

The Hay Experts

Hi Emjay

Thanks for the advice - I am fairly new to rabbits and my daughter's rabbits have been chewing everything in sight. I've now gone onto the Hay Experts website and found exactly what I needed - cheers!

Back