• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fleas?

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
Me and the husband have some suspicious looking possible flea bites (yuk!) and no dogs or cats. I can only think it's the bunnies. Can fleas be spread through hay??

And, if it's likely to be that, what treatment do I need?

Yuk! It's possible I guess :? If you have a rummage through Clover and Dusty's fur you should be able to see if there are any fleas - look for any little tiny white eggs or little black flaky bits (which should turn into red dots if you blot them with water on a piece of paper).

I think you'd be best getting a specific flea product from the vets if it looks like flease, some products suitable for cats/dogs like frontline are toxic to buns so you'd have to be really really careful what you use, particularly with your buns existing health problems. Hopefully you can just ring your vet and ask what to use rather than having to traipse them down there.

Thanks. :) Right, have had a good old look through their fur (was much easier with Dusty, as she has a short coat these days). All I could see was a few very tiny white flakes on Clover.

If it is fleas, I've just had a quick Google, and it looks like a minefield. :shock: :( The vets are open today, so I'm tempted to ring them.

It's all so psychological - I itch all over now, all this talk of fleas! :oops: :lol: :roll:

Have called the vet and am being sent some Advantage. Can't believe the price!!! £42!! *faints* :shock: I wish I knew for sure that they have fleas, but can't ignore it, especially with the myx risk from fleas too.

I'll have a look when we catch up if you want, unfortunately I've seen enough fleas to know what they signs look like :shock: White flakes could also be a sign of mites, does advantage work on those too.

£42 *faints*

Thanks. :) Don't think it works on mites, but I do have some Ivomec here.

edit: obviously I wouldn't use them both at the same time. I'm worried enough about using a flea treatment with my fragile bunnies!! :shock:

Last edited:
There is a type of mite bunnies get (Cheyletiella) which can also affect humans. I'm not sure if it gives bites or a rash though :? Hope you get it sorted with no problems :)

Is that £42 for one box (of 4 vials)? :shock:

It's only about £18 at my vets.

If you need any more, get a prescription and source it from a chemist...you'll save a lot of money.

Amy

:shock: My goodness thats shocking for a price......

Yes rabbits can get fleas and different fleas and mites live in all kinds of things u can get paper fleas even. I always treat the rabbits when i do the dogs. The Vet just needed to weigh them to get the correct weight before administration of the drops. If you know the weight of you bunny u can get them from www.wormers.co.uk at half the price of the vets in ur case a third of the price.......someone gave me the site off here for wormers for the rabbits its ace.......

:wave:

Back