• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bucks changing temprement with spayed Doe?

FurryBeasties

Young Bun
I currently have two long bonded bunnies, Rosie, a recently spayed doe (as of a couple of months ago) and Humphrey a neutered buck (neutered over a year ago). They are around 1.5 years old and being litter mates have only had one period of seperation a week after we got them as 2 females and then discovered Humphrey wasn't quite as described. They've been together since then, even through Rosies spay (asside form the actual op itself obviously). Up to and even a week or so after Rosie's op she was firmly in charge and quite redularly mounted poor humphs who was quite a shy quiet little boy. He still is a bit of a coward but recently the balance of power has shifted. I didn't mind too much as Rosie did harras him a little before but now i'm a bit worried.

A couple of nights ago he wouldn't let Rosie get near the food, chasing her around the run (i've got the happy hutch 6ft run and hutch combo thingy) until she eventually gave up and hid upstairs in the hutch. I then split the food and gave her a share upstairs and hoped that would be the end of it (she's a wee bit of a light weight compared to the chunk that is Humphrey so needs her food). Then last night i noticed she had quite a nasty looking scratch on the top of her head, it's healing over and not infected but i'm a bit worried he's attacking her. Oddly there's no fur balls rolling round the hutch as there was when we reintroduced them last year so it may well be an accident but i'm wondering if this kind of temprement change is normal.

He's also got a bit mroe aggressive in the garden, going for our dog twice (and the dog only approached sniffing on a lead) whereas before he'd just hop away and hide. He does seem similar temprement wise with us, still disliking being picked up but grudgingly allowing it. I'm just worried now that things will escalate and we'll have to seperate them. I'm not so worried about Rosie with that but he really wouldn't cope well on his own as he isn't interested in humans (Rosie loves everything and everyone) and would be really miserable and lonley.

Any advice, reassurance or ideas would be much appreciated

Jem

Back