• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vhd

Denny

Mama Doe
Can rabbits still die from it despite being vaccinated :?: I know that all vaccinations are not 100% protective but as being as it is a yearly vaccination I am now wondering if buns are not protected even the 99% considering what is going on with myxi at the moment and knowing that a yearly vaccinations for myxi is not even 50% effective now :?

As I understood it, the VHD one is much more effective than the myx. I've not heard of conventionally VHD vaccinated bunnies getting it..?

I believe the VHD jab is actually made from the VHD virus unlike myxi which is cross immunisation from the sharps fibroma (sp) virus, hence it is only effective against some strains and even then not 100%.

I thought the VHD, if administered properly, was 100% effective :?

I don't think anything is 100% effective, I guess it must depend on the immune system at time of vaccination too

Would a rabbit not vaccinated against VHD stand any chance of survival if they contracted the disease? i guess as it kills within 48 hours there's little chance :?

Would a rabbit not vaccinated against VHD stand any chance of survival if they contracted the disease? i guess as it kills within 48 hours there's little chance :?

I was told as a child but *dont know if its true* that VHD is 100% fatal :cry:

Nope not a chance! if they get it and there not vaccintaed thats it. They will unfortunatly die before you can get a vet to pts as well.

The VHD vaccine (i was told) is 99% and certainly after we had it here and the buns were vaccinated non of the others and no buns i have had here since have contracted it. and the virus can live in soil for up to 4 years providing there is no other case of VHD

Well if it's 99% protective, that's still one rabbit out of every hundred that is vaccinated, will get it.

phill said:
Nope not a chance! if they get it and there not vaccintaed thats it. They will unfortunatly die before you can get a vet to pts as well.

The VHD vaccine (i was told) is 99% and certainly after we had it here and the buns were vaccinated non of the others and no buns i have had here since have contracted it. and the virus can live in soil for up to 4 years providing there is no other case of VHD

thanks Phill.

Well if it's 99% protective, that's still one rabbit out of every hundred that is vaccinated, will get it.

I guess nothing is 100% ....aren't condoms only 98%? :lol:

Back